Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with IoT

Kinsbrunner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am strongly interested on leveraging my IoT knowledge and wanted to get some advice from experts.

I am already working on my HCP knowledge and would like to get specific comments over IoT devices. I am planning to buy a Raspberry Pi 2 with some sensors. Do you think this is a correct decision? If so, I am doubting about which sensors I should buy as they are sold on several packages which contain different stuff. Any advice? If you have any special link from amazon.com, I can directly buy it.

Also, if someone thinks that there are special resources from where I should learn, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards.

Alejandro.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alejandro,

I am using a Raspberry Pi 2 with the Sense HAT as part of my IoT proof of concept project.  There are other sensors that you can get for the Raspberry Pi, but in my opinion they aren't as convenient to start learning about IoT.  The Sense HAT is very inexpensive, it has a number of sensors (temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, etc.) that you can use and is very easy to setup and configure. 

Regards,

David

Kinsbrunner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

David,

I've never heard about this but I am reading and seems interesting. I have 4 questions:

1) Is this one compatible with the Pi 2 board?

2) Is the Astro Pi able to be handled through Jave instead of Python?

3) I was interested on buying the Cana Kit as it has a WiFi adapter, do I need that?

4) I also found Sun Founder sensors, are they good?

After saying all this, is the Astro Pi the best advice in comparison to Cana Kit and Sun Founder?

Many thanks for support, patience and knowledge!

Regardsl.

Alejandro.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

anton_levin
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Alejandro,

since you've mentioned that you started with HCP already, you may try its IoT Services out .

1. Official documentation SAP HANA Cloud Platform Internet of Things (IoT) Services

2. Getting started SCN post

3. IoT Starter Kit on GitHub SAP/iot-starterkit · GitHub (which also provides code examples for the RaspberryPi and GrovePi)

Which exactly platform and sensors you need depend on your usecase but you can already start with IoT on HCP Trial without any hardware.

Regards,

Anton