cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WBS / Activity transfers between projects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our projects relate to the completion of a business jet for a given client. All of the work associated with the project is specific to the client; however, some of the work is carried out on the physical aircraft and must remain associated with that aircraft while other work can "follow" a customer to another aircraft if for some reason there is a need to re-assign the customer from one aircraft to another (this is a regular occurrence).

In our proposed project systems environment, level 2 of the WBS provides parent elements for these two categories of work. One is referred to as S/N (aircraft specific); the other, as D/N (customer specific). Below this, our WBS is object oriented. We use network orders to address complex assembly manufacturing. We use production orders (PP) to address detail parts. Both represent / include activity that is account assigned to the lowest level of the WBS which can roll up to either the S/N or D/N side of the project. Work is only posted to this lowest WBS level.

When a customer is re-assigned to a different aircraft, this is done in reciprocal or independent project pairs. When this happens, I need to move the S/N parent and children to a different project. All related data / postings needs to be realigned to the new project.

This appears to be possible BEFORE actuals post to any S/N WBS children. Is it possible to do this AFTER postings occur? Will all data / related posting follow the WBS move?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kenmelching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

James,

Please provide more information on how your projects are settled.  Are they settled to COPA?  Do you use Results Analysis?

What is the relationship between the 2 Level 2 WBS elements?  Is there a revenue sharing relationship, do you have SD orders involved?

It sounds like you need a reporting solution rather than a functional solution.

You could create 2 projects and use Customer Defined Fields (implemented via a User Exit) to link the 2 projects for reporting.  When you need to reassign a project you simply change the Customer Defined Field on the Project definition.

The Customer Defined fields are available in standard PS reports as a selection.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ken, thank you for your review and response. I'll try to answer your inquiries individually below.

Costs are settled to CO. We do not have SD in place currently, though this is on our roadmap. As we are cost only for now, we don't use profitability analysis / results analysis.

The level 2 WBS elements have the aircraft's customer and completion specification in common. We have only considered inserting this level as a possible means of aiding the identification / isolation of the work that must stay with the physical aircraft (the S/N serial number) vs. the work that can follow the customer specification to another aircraft (the D/N document number).

We have considered the 2-project scenario you suggest. Our most significant concern with this approach is that we have networks that cross WBS elements of both the SN and DN, and to my knowledge we can't do this across projects.

Ultimately, I think we need to develop functionality that will trace the various system entries for a given project id and swap it for the new project id. If SAP maintains a system-only project identifier (not the one we create or see), then this would seem possible, just not sure how practical it might be.
Any thoughts on this?

I really appreciate the input.

DaveS4
Contributor
0 Kudos

James,

If you are using activity assigned networks, they can cross projects, since each network activity is a cost object. Do you currently use header assigned networks?

I agree with Ken, you may need a reporting solution. In addition to his suggestions, you can WBS element groups, these can be used in BW reporting. Or in ECC reporting variants can combine the projects as well.

regards,

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input. We do use activity assigned networks. It was my understanding they could not cross projects.

I will consider the question answered for now, and do a thorough investigation of the reporting solution.

Regards,

Jim

kenmelching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not clear on Settling to CO.  Are you settling to Cost Centers?

Basically by moving WBS you will be trying to rewrite history which is exceedingly difficult and very easy to mess up.  You will have to account for all of the different business scenarios and how they post to PS objects and then reverse them and replicate.   

Finding a way to split the Networks between the SN and DN side would be much easier.  Are you scheduling within these networks?  What is the requirement driving having one Network on both sides of the Project?

Since you are just collecting costs and not trying to measure profitability on the project it is easier to use multiple projects and develop a reporting solution.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

DaveS4
Contributor
0 Kudos

James,

The WBS element can be renamed, however it doesn't change its internal number. Therefore after the change it may appear that all of its sub-objects, expenses incurred etc follows a different WBS element. It is just how SAP represents the WBS elements numbering. You can test that in CJ20N.

But if you are asking to unplug a piece of the project and then plug under a new project, never done that. You can settle all expenses to a new WBS under a new project.

Regards,

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply and explanation about renaming the WBS elements. Per your inquiry, I need to be able to unplug a piece of the project and then plug it in under a different project.

Once I move a WBS tree (the S/N part) to a new project, I need to maintain the drill down to activity information (production / network orders - hours, $'s, status, etc.) that was associated with the WBS when it was associated with the original project.

former_member388328
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

You only want to move costs or other sub objects like PP orders and networks also ?

Thanking you

Vengaiah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply. I need to move costs and other sub objects like PP orders and networks. When I am in the newly assigned project, For the WBS tree that is moved I need to be able to drill down to the information from all PP / Network orders whether the activities were undertaken in the original project or the new project.