cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROLL IN / OUT in SAP Memory Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a question concerning The ROLL IN/OUT Operations :

"Whenever a dialog step is executed, a roll action occurs between the roll buffer in the shared memory and the memory area, which is allocated according to ztta/roll_first in a dialog process. Then the area in the shared memory is accessed that belongs to this user context.

The following graphic displays the roll process performed by the dispatcher.

• Roll-in: cross-user data is rolled in from the common resource in the work process (and is processed there).
  • Roll-out: User-specific data is rolled out from the work process in the common resource (after the dialog step has ended).

The common resource stands for the different SAP memory types."

According to this passage  in SAP HELP Forum is the Roll IN = From Shared To Local and The Roll Out = From Local To Shared  , Am I getting it right ?

Because this Figure made me a little bit confused :

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you're correct on roll in/out thing.

Roll in: when a user login to a system the user context related data gets collected from the data base to Roll Buffer, Roll File. When user execute any transaction the user data are loaded to the workprocess roll memory from the roll buffer/file, this is known as roll-in.

Roll out: After the completion of one dialog LUW, the roll data gets rolled out to the roll buffer. this is known roll-out. This method is used for the dialog multiplexing, means the dialog wp make free to accept any other dialog request.

Regards,

Prithviraj.

Answers (0)