cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Predictive Power & Confidence in HANA PAL classification algorithms?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am working on SAP HANA PAL SPS09. Currently I am using Naive Bayes Classification Algorithm for one of my use case. Please let me know how to get Predictive Power and Confidence in HANA PAL Naive Bayes classification algorithm or how to calculate the error margin for the predicted output. Also, let me know how to get which all attributes contributed the most for my prediction like it appears in SAP Predictive Analytics Tool.

Thanks,

Pragati Gupta

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ChristophMorgen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Pragati,

In PAL, we do support

- AUC calculation (since SPS11)

- the parameter selections dan model evaluation functions for cross validationa may also be helpful

- also since SPS11, we do support Random Forest, which additionally provides Variable Importance output.

Regards,

Christoph

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Christoph Morgen, Xingtian Shi for your inputs...

Currently I am working on SPS09, I tried APL for my use case and I was able to get the top contributing attributes along with their individual contribution value. I'll definitely try using PAL in SPS10 and 11 versions.

Regards,

Pragati Gupta

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Pragati Gupta, kindly close the question has it has been answered.

Thanks & regards

Antoine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gupta,

Unfortunately, the log conditional a-posterior probabilities for each class is not directly returned from the prediction function in SPS09. We've added it recently and this will be delivered in the next revision if possible. To workaround,  you could extract 1) the probability of the independent variables given the class and 2) the probability of the class from the PMML file returned from the Naive Bayes training. You can refer to http://dmg.org/pmml/v4-1/NaiveBayes.html for how to interpret the file. For continuous variable, we return mean and variance of the normal distribution. You can calculate the the scores in your own logic. Of course, I understand it is not convenient. In PAL, decision tree (all the three), logistic regression including multi class log regression, and random forest (SPS11 only) will return the prediction probability. I will recommend you to use these algorithms if possible. In PAL SPS10 and 11, we also have confusion matrix, ROC, AUC for model evaluation.

Best regards,

Xingtian

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you also considered the two following complementary options:

1. Installing APL on your HANA system and using the HANA Auto Classification algorithm?

2. Using Automated Analytics on top of your SAP HANA data?

Cheers,

Antoine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Antoine

Actually I wanted to use Naive Bayes algorithm in particular for classification. Yes APL is there but as its more of automated, we can't really tweak with the coefficients to reduce error margin.

Right now I am unable to figure out the error margin/ summary of my model and the attributes which are contributing to the predictions. In SAP PA tool it otherwise, we get a proper summary, prediction power/confidence, variable contributions etc.

Couldn't really find any material also on this topic. Kindly help.

Regards

Pragati

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need to add a Model Statistics node and you can also compare the errors between different models including APL or Automated Algorithms compared to PAL ones.

See

Cheers

Antoine

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

But you will not get the most influencing variables as per my understanding. I would recommend you to position & compare the performance of the different models you can build, in most cases automated will provide the right balance between performance, simplicity and handling of complex data.

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In terms of material, the user guide for Expert Analytics rule - see http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/pa23/en/pa23_expert_user_en.pdf

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Model Statistics content starts on page 242.

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

My simple example

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Antoine,

Thank you so much for the help.

The links and details which you have shared talks about SAP PA Tool. I want to implement it in HANA backend using PAL procedures.

Regards,

Pragati

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In that case, I am clueless 🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not a problem Antoine. But I am really grateful for all the help you have provided.

Thanks,

Pragati

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

, can you please comment on the post?

Thanks & regards

Antoine