cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Session time out in FPM applications - Problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am trying to find a solution to the session time out problem in my FPM applications. When the application is left inactive for long, even though it has timed out the user only gets to know when he/she clicks on a button or something. I have to find something to address this issue.

Now, I know that I cannot increase the timeout value( greater than the ICM setting) for a particular application and increasing the ICM setting timeout value wont be possible in my project.

So, the users want a warning message (lets say "Session will time out in 1 minute" )  if the application is going to time out. Now, this is FPM and I am on a lower system ( SAP_BASIS 702) so I don't have the TimeTrigger UI element.

Any idea how this can be achieved in my OVP FPM application.

Many thanks in advance.

Saikat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Any help please ?

Thanks,

Saikat

former_member226239
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for bringing up this one Saikat.

Do you know how we can handle this if we are in a new system (SAP_BASIS 731)? I am also trying to achieve the same.

Thanks,

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Saikat, did you solve this?

A suggestion would be to set an async callback to run before the timeout period so that the session will actually never timeout and the user will never have the issue.

When the FPM initialises, determine the timeout value (FM ICM_GET_INFO may help with this) and then set a callback to a function module that runs in the background with the timeout value minus a few seconds (or something).

That callback would then fire back to FPM in the allotted time which would then reset the session idle time back to 0.

I'm using callbacks for a progress indicator and the run time is A LOT and it doesn't timeout on me due to each callback that runs.

The best example you'll find is the basic one SAP have provided.

SAP Feeder Class ... CL_FPM_TEST_ASYNC_EVENT_FEEDER

Let me know how you go.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brad,

Thank you for your reply. Your solution is great but sadly it wont work in my case. My system is at BASIS release 702 level 9 and this asynchronous callback thing doesn't work in this level I guess.

So, what I am doing is integrate a custom webdynpro component inside one of the UIBBs and use a TimedTrigger element inside my component. Whenever I want to extend the session I am just triggering a FPM event loop and that works to keep the session alive forever.

The asynchronous call back would have been much neater solution I agree.

Thank you for your asnwer.

Saikat

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member202253
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Saikat,

We had the same issue whenever session time out and user click on any event they got exception screen on UI and same we cannot increase session time out time as system will consume more memory.

So what we did we added custom HTML code in SICF node, whenever any error occurred show generic error message. Below are the step we did.

1.  Open T-Code SICF

2.  Open application service where you want to have custom error page

3.  Go to the "Error Page" Tab and select "Application Error" Tab.

4.  Enter custom HTML when some informative message.

Hope this will help you...

Thanks & Regards,

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, my main requiremnt s not to get the error in a custom page. I want a normal warning message only in my FPM screen one minute before timeout. This can achieved easily in classical web dynpro. My question is how to achieve in FPM..?

Many thanks,

Saikat