cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operation not yet implemented error in PDF export

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings!  This error started to appear just this morning (everything was working just fine yesterday) when the users attempt to export a Crystal Report to a PDF file.  I've searched the net, and nothing out there solves the problem.  The report is using just Arial font, so it is not do to some esoteric font.  The msvcp100 and msvcr100 files are from July, so they are fine.  Frankly, I'm stumped, so if anyone has any suggestions on what we can try, I'd appreciate the input.  In the meantime, I have modified the code to export to a Word format, which is working just fine, as does exporting to an RTF format; it is just the PDF export that is causing this issue.  Help!  Thanks....

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lyle

What version of CR? (include SP)

What version of .NET?

Win or web app?

OS?

Browser?

Typically this is an issue related to incorrect runtime (e.g.; old runtime trying to run new reports).

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Use the SAP Idea Place

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek

We are using Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 (10.5.0.0), .NET 4.5.2.  It is a Windows-based application, running on both Windows XP and Windows 7.  The browser installed on the machines is Internet Explorer 10.  One thing I have discovered is that if I reinstall the application on XP, the problem is resolved, but that solution does NOT work under Windows 7.  As I said in my original posting, the whole system was running fine two days ago; this issue just materialized yesterday morning.  Any suggestions?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think as we close in on the end of 2015, this is quickly percolating to the top of my "most weird issues" list

I mean I could possibly point at some MS patch - but that would be a possibility with one OS. But two Operating Systems (?!).

So, let's go through the laundry list of possible causes:

1) The exportmodeller.dll and / or the TSLV.dll are not registered. THis would be the case if PDF, xls, doc cause the error message, but txt does not (I think).

2) The report was changed to use a non system font or a font the report has no access to (permissions).

3) The VC++ runtime dependencies are not present / corrupted, etc. I believe this is the correct VC++ runtime:

1. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update.
  2. Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package.

If none of the above helps;

What format are you exporting to? Can you try different formats?

Are you exporting from the viewer or using the export APIs?

Oh. Not sure if you're using SP 1 for CR 10.5. If not, I'd highly recommend going to that. See:

Create a new report - no db connection, just a text box in the report header; "hello world". Use a standard font - say Calibri or Arial, etc. See if this works on those computers.

Create a new one line app;

Add a viewer to a form.

On form init: CrystalReportsViewer1.ReportSource = <path to a saved data report>

Compile.

Throw the exe on those runtime computers. Does this app work?

See if Process Monitor tells you anything re problems loading some dlls (exportmodeller and tslv in particular). Also search the logs for "Access Denied".

- Ludek

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good chance this is a FONT issue.

Make sure the report uses only True Type font. 
And make sure there are no font permissions issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I indicated in my initial post, the report uses Arial font, so it is definitely not a FONT issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek.... I checked that both ExportModeller.dll and Tslv.dll are properly registered, but still got the message.  The only export format that creates this error is the PDF export; all the other formats work just fine; and yes, we are doing the exporting via API calls (but it still occurs if I do it thru the viewer).  And unless Arial has become an unregistered font, well.....  😉

I will check the C++ runtime options, make sure they are current.  Then I will try out your suggestion on running a special test report.  One caveat, though; I'm on vacation next week, so I may not be getting back to you until the beginning of December.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry to report that nothing has worked yet.  I verified that we have run the updates for Crystal.  I also created a blank report with just one text box on it (Arial), and got the same error when I tried to export the report.  I just downloaded the ProcessMonitor app you suggested, and I will try that next...

This must be what Alice felt like when she went down the rabbit hole.....  😎

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

LOL

Try a completely blank report. Does that export?

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, now that's weird..... a totally blank report WILL export successfully.  WHAT??????  Color me confused.....

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmmm - try a report with "Hello World" using Calibri font - I know, I know... humor me

- Ludek

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anyone solved this issue? Does anyone know? Has Microsoft been notified of the issue?

I have this issue with an important feature on an application we run on a few hundred workstations. I can uninstall the patch which fixes, but then the patch obviously comes back when Microsoft Updates again and we cannot run the workstations forever with Windows Update turned off.

And like everyone else, I would rater not have to touch a few hundred workstations!

Any news on this? Please?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

MS is aware of the issue - I doubt they will do anything about it. Like I said in my post dated

m_dowd
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Any update on a fix for this issue?

Thanks,

Matt Dowd

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe there is an MS patch that was released recently that fixes the patch that started all of this. I don't have the patch number, but see if updating your OS will help.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's great news. If anyone could post the KB number for the update that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have testet the solution described here and it works on most computers:

http://www.iris.co.uk/support/knowledgebase/kb/11978

We do have a problem with a couple of Windows 7 computers though,

Does anyone have an idéa why replacing font files does not help?

m_dowd
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Any confirmation that this patch exists? Have you found a KB number?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Microsoft have re-released KB3102429 (or released a new patch with the same name, either way it's confusing) on the 19th of January. It includes new versions of Arial and TNR which, in my in-house testing on S2008R2 and W8.1 appear to not cause the problem with exporting to PDF. (Reports from the field are confused though.. it seems not to work for some people. Information is still being gathered.)

However there are reports that the new patch does cause other problems with Outlook, Word and Excel. (KB3102429 Issues with Crystal Reports - Spiceworks, KB3102429 Archives - Adam Fowler - I.T. From Australia)  ymmv.

Also the MS support page for that patch still lists version numbers for the original version of the patch. The versions installed today (22/01/2016 ~15:00 NZDT) were 5.22 (on S2008R2) and 6.89 (on W8.1)

Peace.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the solution, folks!  Now if Micro$oft would only test first..... 😉

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are unable to export any report to PDF with CR 10 runtime on dozens of clients using Windows 7 and Server 2008.

Uninstalling KB3102429 solved it for us.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Many thanks for sharing the solution Andreas. SAP Dev is looking into the issue with that Microsoft KBA patch. See if they can fix a Microsoft "fix"...

As a by the by I would like to note that CR 10.0 and 10.2 is not supported on WIN 2008 (but if it works, great ). CR 10.5 is supported on WIN 2008 - but not on more up to date OS.

Ref: Crystal Reports v. 9.1 to SAP Crystal Reports 2013, Runtime Distribution and Supported Operating Sys...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well I didn't come up with the solution.

But on that topic Ludek: Not supported and not working is not the same.

We've already tried upgrading to the newer .Net runtimes, but never gotten our old reports to run properly (we'd have to touch every second report).

CR 10 is still running very well for our over 1000 reports, even on Windows 8 and 10.

To be honest: We are still running an even older runtime in our cobol components, and that one wasn't even affected by the KB3102429 problem!

We sure will try again if there ever is a never version of the crystal runtime. But for us it seems, that there isn't very much going on anymore in crystal development, so we are starting to switch to other reporting solutions. I mean, the difference between 2011 and 2013 is very sparse, and we've got 2016 soon...

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are so right when you say "Not supported and not working is not the same.". Could not agree more.

I just wanted to be clear that we do not test "unsupported" scenarios. So, help is best effort and all that. Sometimes it's just easier to go to a supported scenario. It all depends.

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the newer .Net runtimes though. If you want to, please do create a new post on that or if you already have let me know the URL, or phone incident ID. I'll take a look, maybe throw Don under the bus too LOL (e.g.; get his help )

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek, I think Microsoft did it again.... reports were coming out just fine yesterday once we removed that update (KB3102429), but now this morning the same issue is back.  I checked each system to see if perhaps that update had reinstalled, but it is not anywhere to be found.  Let's reopen this issue and see if we can come up with (yet another) solution.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perhaps a Process Monitor log will tell you something. Search "Access Denied" in the logs.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

More and more of our customers using pdf export for our reports do experience this problem. We nailed it down to the Arial Font Family which was updated in the above mentioned Microsoft Patch. When you install an elder version of Arial (e.g. Version 5.20 from 2014) the problem is temporarily solved. "Temporarily" because the next MS update with a new font will bring it back.

Is SAP working with Microsoft on a solution here?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not sure... but the issue i on R&D's radar - I suspect rather than working with MS, we will have to fix the MS fix... Keep your fingers crossed for SP 16.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone know if other font families are involved in this kerfuffle?  I really have no interest in converting 200+ reports from Arial to a "safe" font, but I also don't want to create new reports using a different font that creates the same outcome as Arial...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Times New Roman appears to cause the problem too. No other fonts have been found to cause this problem. Garamond, Georgia, Microsoft Sans Serif, Trebuchet MS, Sylfaen, Book Antiqua and others all tested as possible substitutes worked fine for me. (CR10, W7/W8.1/S2008R2)

No guarantees for the future though. If this is some new feature of fonts (colour? alpha channel? metaphasic shield?) which is confusing old versions of CR, it's possible it'll be rolled out with any number of other fonts at some point.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found the font version numbers from MS update site https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102429.  Hope this could help you to identify which fonts is affected.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lyle,

we had the same problem this morning after a reboot and several updates on our server.

Reverting the Microsoft Windows Update KB3102429 solved the problem for us. 🙂

It looks like Microsoft replaced all fonts (or most of them) within this update.

-- Felix

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Same suspect (KB3102429) is implicated here: http://www.iris.co.uk/support/knowledgebase/kb/11478

Former Member
0 Kudos

We also started receiving this error the other day under similar circumstances, and have found that the culprit seems to be the optional windows update KB3102429.

Once this was uninstalled, everything began working again as expected.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This appears to be an issue resulting from Windows Update KB 3102429.  The solution so far is to rollback the update.  The update changes many font files and could be the direct cause of the problem. Arial appears to be one of the fonts that was updated.  You could try replacing your current Arial font files with some from another computer that has not been updated and see if it solves the issue.  You can go to c:\windows\fonts to see the latest fonts installed on your machine.  Right now we have told our customers to rollback the update and that has solved the problem for now.