cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUM is looking for DB library in existing System Kernel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are upgrading our NW 7.0 ABAP system to NW 7.4 SP13.

Database is Oracle 11g and OS is HP-UNIX.

We are using SUM SP14 patch 4 for Upgrade activity.

During Upgrade execution in configuration phase we have a step DBCONCHK_INI where SUM tool check its connectivity with Database.

We are facing issue in this step -

/usr/sap/install/SUM/abap/exe/R3trans -d

Could not open the ICU common library.

The following files must be in the path described by

the environment variable "LD_LIBRARY_PATH":

libicuuc.sl.50, libicudata.sl.50, libicui18n.sl.50 [/bas/742_REL/src/flat/nlsui0.c 1531] pid = 9143

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is currently set to <not set>  [/bas/742_REL/src/flat/nlsui0.c 1537] pid = 9143

Root cause - SUM is using its uncar Kernel to check connectivity which is 742 and for DB library it is using existing kernel path.

So R3trans used by SUM is 742  version and it needs libicuuc.sl.50, libicudata.sl.50, libicui18n.sl.50 and dboraslib(742) to make successful DB connectivity but SUM is searching these DB library under existing Kernel /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run  where we have 700 kernel DB libraries.

We also tried to copy libicuuc.sl.50, libicudata.sl.50, libicui18n.sl.50 and dboraslib(742) from /usr/sap/install/SUM/abap/exe to /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run which gave successful result for /usr/sap/install/SUM/abap/exe/R3trans -d but our existing system start showing issue and giving error message during startup that Kernel is 700 but dboraslib is 742.

Not sure why SUM is using its 742 R3trans and not considering DB libraries available under /usr/sap/install/SUM/abap/exe but needs these DB libraries in Existing system Kernel.

We also checked that we cannot perform Kernel Upgrade on existing system as 742 Kernel is not supported with Netweaver 7.0

Regards,

Shivam Mittal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

andras_homlok
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam,

the problem is that the target version will use 74x kernel which supports only SSFS database

authentication method. We've faced the same issue while implementing EHP7 on our system.

You should configure SSFS authentication instead of OPS$ mechanism and it should work.

1639578 - SSFS as password store for primary database connect

(I guess you've tested with R3trans -d, but it's not the same environment as SUM uses during it's

run, so that's why you get that it doesn't find the libraries)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is the problem of latest SUM. The probable workaarounds:

1. Generate Stack.XML file without kernel and proceed by refetching the same. After upgrade completes manually update the kernel.

2. Try to manually set the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the directory where these files originally exist.

3. Where have you kept the stack.xml? If this is not present in EPS/in then place it there and retry.

4. Check if there are permission issues.

Thanks,

Avishek

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

What version of Oracle client are you using?

Make sure you are using 11G instant client and just a symbolic link to 10G client.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shivam,

Can you generate stack.xml file but not select the kernel files and restart the update once again?

Before that you would need to reset the update.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Anita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anita,

I think this will not be good solution to resolve this problem.

I find out temporary workaround to copy new kernel Db library for this specific step and after that revert back Db library in old kernel.

But I am expecting this is bug in SUM which is raising this issue.

I am also not sure if in running system we change dboraslib file will it impact running system.

Currently performing upgrade on SBX which does not have much activities running so could not identify if library  dboraslib is used in running system.

Are you aware if dboraslib has any role in running system or it is used only during system startup.

Regards,

Shivam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam,

i think dboraslib is one of the SAP database shared library among others like libicuuc.sl.50, libicudata.sl.50, libicui18n.sl and this is important for any running SAP system since the disp+work loads these specific libraries in order to connect to the Database. These shared libraries does complete handling of all sql requests in an SAP environment.

Br

Vishwanath B