cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sap BW on HANA migration using DMO

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guyz,

I am new to HANA migration , currently am planning to migrate our SAP BW 7.4 SP9 system to HANA,  and I have already installed the HANA system and its up and running.

Our source BW system is on Windows/SQL server and HANA is on Linux and both are hosted on AWS cloud. Now I have a challenge to run the migration using DMO, because couple of blogs says DMO cannot be used for Windows as its uses memory pipes and some say we can switch the mode by changing the parameter.

So can someone confirm If I can run DMO using SUM 14  for the migration by changing the parameter from pipe to socket??? or do I need to use SWPM to use either the File mode or socket mode as DMO doesn't support Windows??

I even tried the SUM benchmark tool and  thought I can run the migration using the benchmark tool, later I found its using memory pipes and I cannot perform the migration. So can we really use benchmarking tool for the real migration or only it is used to analyse and estimate the time of DMO.

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Anil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

CharlesChen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Anil,

The DMO function can migration any DB(including MSSQL) to HANA.

Maybe you can check the latest DMO guide for detailed information.

Best regards,

Charles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Charles,

can you confirm If I can use DMO for Windows using memory pipes or should I need to switch the mode from pipe to socket??

Regards,

Anil

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Anil,

see :

"For windows OS, the pipe mode is enabled starting with SUM SP13 (available since April 28th 2015)"

This is per default.

Regards, Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Borris,

but here my source system and target are on two different boxes one on windows and another on Linux and I am running the DMO on source and I tried to run the DMO benchmark tool earlier and after completion below are the errors from EMIGRATERUN file saying pipe doesn't exists.

====================================================================================================

ETQ121 20151023220417 #543 (19): PID 11128 execute 'C:\usr\sap\WQ2\SUM\abap\exe\R3load -pipe -e C:\usr\sap\WQ2\SUM\abap\migrate\MIGRATE_00281_ECTC_DATA_EXP.CMD -l C:\usr\sap\WQ2\SUM\abap\migrate\MIGRATE_00281_ECTC_DATA_EXP.LOG' in background, output written to 'C:\usr\sap\WQ2\SUM\abap\log\R3LDCALLRUN.543'.

3WETQ399 Pipe '\\.\pipe\MIGRATE_00281_ECTC_DATA.PIPE' does not yet exist, not starting import

ETQ010 Date & Time: 20151023220506

2 ETQ102 Finished execution of 545 process(es).

2 ETQ108 Analyzing logs for errors.

3 ETQ114 Analyzed 545 log files.

1 ETQ399 Finished execution of buckets with rc = 0.

1 ETQ000 ==================================================

4 ETQ010 Date & Time: 20151023220509

3 ETQ399 Bucket evaluation (decreasing import speed, more than 300s import time):

2 ETQ399 Total import time: 3:22:33, maximum run time: 4:47.

2 ETQ399 Total export time: 3:21:01, maximum run time: 4:45.

2 ETQ399 Average exp/imp/total load: 10.8/11.6/22.3 of 25 processes.

2 ETQ399 Summary (export+import): time elapsed 17:45, total size 25351 MB, 23.80 MB/sec (85.69 GB/hour).

1 ETQ207 Executing post-phase DB specific actions 0/1.

4 ETQ010 Date & Time: 20151023220514

1 ETQ202 Upgrade phase "EU_CLONE_RUN" completed successfully ("20151023220514")

=============================================================================

Please suggest..

Regards,

Anil

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Anil,

the text that you have put in red is a warning, not an error, and it frequently happens in case that the export R3load process did not yet create the pipe, so the importing R3load process just waits.

Anil Lamba wrote:

but here my source system and target are on two different boxes one on windows and another on Linux and I am running the DMO on source

Just want to emphasize that you do not have a "source system" and a "target system".

You do have a source system consisting of a source database and an application server (or several), both on the same host or on separate hosts. And you do have a target database.

In any case you run the SUM/DMO process on an application server host, and the R3load processes will run on that host as well.

Regards, Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Borris,

So you say I don't need to switch the mode from Pipe to File while running the SUM DMO SP14 patch 2, though both being on two different hosts?? Can you pleas confirm the same, as in I was trying to switch the mode to File, thinking that pipe mode might not work because of they being on different hosts.

regards,

Anil

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Anil,

please study my blog thoroughly, especially the figure titled "R3load with pipe mode, used by DMO". I am not sure if you got the general idea of the architecture.

Thanks, Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Borris,

I did read and I am just thinking as its clearly says " Now with DMO, both R3load are running on the same host and they communicate using the main memory of that host" but in my case  they are one different hosts not on the same host.

So can you confirm If I can still run the DMO using memory pipes or should I need to switch to File Mode?

Regards,

Anil

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

but in my case  they [the R3loads] are one different hosts not on the same host.

Sorry to say that this is not possible.

Regards, Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your time Borris,

So as I predicted it will not work in my scenario, so shall I go with the File mode?? Please suggest.

Regards,

Anil

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

What I intended to say is that it is not possible in a DMO scenario that the R3loads are running on different hosts. Of course it is possible to run DMO with pipe mode in a scenario in which a Windows host is involved. If these statements do not help you, I am afraid you need to learn more about the technical background first.

Regards, Boris