cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementing EDI for SAP EM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello EM experts,

I am currently working for a Customer who wants to implement EDI to receive event from an external system.

It is the first time I face this implementation and I do not have a clue on how to start.

Is there anyone who can help me on that ?

Thank you in advance !

Best regards,

Perrine Wieser

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

kevin_wilson2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Perrine,

I would suggest you engage with someone to help you through it. With SAP EM there are too many options to choosr from and each have their + and - points. You have to consider all possible config methods to come up with the best design. Things to consider:

- which EDI messages are being used 214,315 map to EVMSTA ...

- Where will mapping happen and what does that mapping template look like? E.G. Gentran, SAP PI, SAP AIF.

- How are you going to handle errors? What technique will you use to post to EM? Suggest IDocs with workflow error handling

- What is the volume, frequency and size?

- What is the data retention period?

- What parameters should be passed in from EDI? What type should they be? Control, Info, Message or System?

- Is location of event a factor? Is the partner raising the event a factor?

- Are measurements in play? E.g. Weight or temperature

- Will you be able to establish a plan for certain events to occur during the process? Often with EDI the only event that has a plan is the final ETA or POD.

I Could go on for another 3 pages but I hope you get my point. You simply cannot get your question answered in a forum like this. A similar question was posted like this more than a year ago and I posted the same response. They did decide to bring myself and Vishnu in to help them do it. We sat side by side with their folks, in Canada. We did an inbound shipment scenario so they could see what to do and they did the outbound ASN example while we guided them through it.

Good luck to you.

Kevin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Perrine,

What is your scenario? Are you going to use Shipment or Transportation scenario?

Standard Architecture Flow:

1. Third Party External System -> Middleware (Webmethods or Gentran or Tibco any third party tool -> SAP EM System

2. Third Party External System -> SAP PI -> SAP EM System

We have two IDOCs that one for event handler create and update event handler IDOC EHPOST01 and other one for event message EVMSTA02.

Go to WE60 and enter above IDOC types to view IDOC structure.

The IDOC document link for EHPOST01 and EVMSTA02.

First we need to check EDI message whether it is EDI850 or EDI856 or EDI300 then you need to map the IDOC segments accordingly to create an event handler or post an event message.

Just google SAP EDI IDOC Step by Step.  You can get lot of documents on IDOC implementation external to SAP system.

e-g:

Inbound and Outbound Idoc Configuration Steps - Contributor Corner - SCN Wiki

Map EHPOST01 and EVMSTA02 as per documentations provided.

Regards

GGPO

former_member190756
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Perrine,

under http://service.sap.com/scm

SAP SCM in Detail

Event Management

Technical Information

you find the document:

https://websmp202.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700002439552003E/EvtMgeInput-SAPEM-40_v11.pdf

This explains the IDOC for Event Message Sending.

Best regards,

Steffen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Perrine,

Just to know, is it first time in Event Management or just EDI? What middleware do you have?

In addition to Steffen's IDOC link, Refer to the wiki for general EM info:

SAP Event Management - Supply Chain Management (SCM) - SCN Wiki

Let us know if you any specific questions too.

Thanks,

Vishnu