cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWBC 5.0: Is there any good example of cockpit using sidepanel?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

Does anyone know where there would be a SIMPLE example of implementing a customised tcode using the side panel. Some good example posts similar to what we can see for other technology demo.

It can be as simple as adding a new tcode where a text string is displayed, and then the side panel extracts the text string and display it.

Thanks!

Dong Zhu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a look here:

About activating the sidepanels have a look here: Setting Up the Side Panel - Side Panel for Business Suite - SAP Library

qurm
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jakob,

Thanks for the links.  Like Dong, I am also trying to enable the side panels, so far without success.

For the link Setting Up... does all of this apply to the more recent versions?  Our environment is NWBC 5.0 and ECC 6.0 EHP 7.  

Also does the Business Function /BCV/NWBC_SIDEPANEL need to be activated for all SAP-provided side panles?  It is not clearly mentioned in the pre-requisites, but it sounds relevant.

The suggested role, SAP_BSSP_FI_CO_FSCM, is fairly complex and FI is a sensitive area to configure as a trial.  Are there other simpler ways to get started?

Thanks

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

I am still on the way to try the example. The role is for demo case, so it should be no trouble to get it. I have been able to "see" the side panel in another tcoode me51n but the info was not passed.

Br,

Dong

qurm
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks, and do you know what Business Functions were required to be enabled.

Like /BCV/NWBC_SIDEPANEL?

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure, but page is built with WDR_CHIP_PAGE app. There are a lot others to configure. Classes and codes implementations.

Here is my point - instead of making a complex "Real case" example that requires so many changes that could go wrong easily for newers, why can't there be a simple example, say run a transaction and in its sdie panel just show the name of the transaction. It is good enough for people to understand the sidepanel architecture.

Anyone knows or made something like this?

Br,

Dong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dong

Have a look at this guide

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-57151

This is a tutorial I made for cresting a material viewer. Otherwise search for role with *bssp*sd*side*  hopefully you will find a role for the ad idealism transactions.

julieplummer20
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Andy, hi everyone,

Just to clear up any confusion:

"/BCV/NWBC_SIDEPANEL" is for Business Context Viewer side panels - released in EHP5, they are a side panel for a WD application, tightly coupled (in same session). More info:

https://uxexplorer.hana.ondemand.com/_item.html?id=75#!/overview

Generally when people say "Side Panel", they mean the side panel for a SAP GUI tx, released in EHP6, loosely coupled (has its own session), for which you need the roles : BSSP*. More info:

HTH Julie.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julie,

Thank you very much for providing these very helpful info.

Some of my points for discussion:

As the side panel concept can be much complex depending on the actual scenarios, some step-by-step guide examples are better than thousand words, especially, for the beginners who are often confused by all the technical items whose meanings are not clear. By the way, I found some docs whose UI was based on old SAP GUI - so I have to figure out which UI elements are referred in newer UI.

I have tried to build some side panel examples but still missing more for different use cases. All I feel which will be a lot easy for developers is that on scn somewhere there could be a list of guide docs which will guide people to build different side panel for different use cases - The UI layout can be very simple but it will demo some key techniques, such as separate app used in side panel, WDA built-in side panel, how to connect two apps and passing data between main app and side panel app via Tag. The use case can be as simple as "Hello world" - just put a text input field in main area, and press a button, the value is shown in the text field of a side panel. This at least will guide people to go through all the Workbench configuration settings.

"Making complex things simple" - that's what I am looking for.

Br,

Dong Zhu

Answers (0)