cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Inspection Characteristics Vs Control Plan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Team,

I could not able to understand the difference between Master Inspection Characteristic (MIC) created in t.code QS21 & Control Plan (CP) being created in QPCP transaction. Could anyone guide me on the below.

1. What is difference between MIC & CP?

2. On what kind of business scenarios MIC & CP will be created?

3. How to assign CP in routing / reference operation set?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Selva, Well these 2 (MIC and Control Plan) are different functionalities.

1. What is difference between MIC & CP?

MIC is the parameter that you inspect. Foe example LENGTH or WIDTH. Control Plan is something a process that is used to prevent the defect during new product development stage. With FMEA (Failure effect mode analysis) integration it gives better results.

2. On what kind of business scenarios MIC & CP will be created?

MICs are created whenever you want to carry out any inspection activity for any business scenario. For example if you take LENGTH as MIC, then you can use this at any level - say for incoming inspection, in-process inspection or inspection for customer shipment. So you need to create MIC whenever you want to capture the inspection results.

Control Plans are generally created for a new product development or a prototype testing. These are mainly used in automobile / manufacturing industry.

3. How to assign CP in routing / reference operation set?

Check below link. This will give you more insights

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/0063c232-199e-2c10-5482-eed82c19b...

Anand

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Better & easy explaination

NJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

Thanks you for your guidance.

I understand that the CP can be created only once for the material & plant combination.

Q1: Is my understanding correct?

Q2: And thank you for sharing the document link on CP. In which tab (Eg: Basic data tab, long text tab, partner tab etc) of CP, can I able to see the task lists (Eg: Routing) assigned to this CP?

Currently, I could not able to see the task list assignment details in the CP (t.code QPCP).

Q3: Is it possible to assign the CP in CA02  / CA01 transaction?

Q4: In order create the CP in QPCP transaction, MIC is NOT a mandatory pre-requisite., Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Selva,

I do not have the set up in my system rightnow to go in to the technical details of this. However from my functional understanding I shall try_

1. Your understanding seems correct to me. CP is generally created at the time of development of the new product. You can revise the same if there are any new changes or modifications incorporated. For example, in the existing product of inner door of the truck your customer suggested to add extra piercing. This calls for the drawing revision and new try outs at the shop floor. There are chances that the this new product could fail. Hence you create new CP or revise existing one considering the specific change.
  2. I am really sorry but I am not remembering at the moment as I had tried generating CP almost a year back. I will try it once I have the required set up.
  3. I think it is in the reverse manner. You assign the task list to the CP and not the CP to task list. Check this link Creating a Task List or Inspection Plan Using the Control Plan - Control Plan (QM-PT-CP) - SAP Libra...
  4. Not so sure but then what you will inspect? And how will you decide which parameters are not in the tolerance range?

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

Thank you for your feedback.

In the existing inner door of the truck (Assume that the corresponding material number of this existing door in SAP is M1). Now customer is requesting two more additional piercing in the existing door which leads to drawing change. In that case, for the material M1, new revision level will created to record the two the two additional piercing in the door. The new drawing will be released by product development team to production team with reference to the new revision level. So I prefer to change the existing CP according to the new revision level instead of creating new CP due to this new requirement from customer. According to my understanding SAP will NOT allow to create MORE THAN ONE CP for the same material / plant combination. Is this standard SAP behavior while creating the CP?

Thanks

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

MIC is generally a characteristic, a parameter or in short- what to inspect!

If you want to capture your inspection results, or testing/analysis/observation value, that will be done against a characteristic which is know as MIC, Master Inspection Characteristic.

Control plan, on the other hand, is a plan to be used in FMEA (Failure Mode & Effects analysis) scenarios. This is to prevent or identify the defects at an early stage of a process.Thus, there would be some definite characteristics which are accountable for failure analysis or defect identification. Those characteristics will be defined by MICs.

So it can be said that MICs are nothing but inspection characteristics which are used in general inspection scenarios (through Inspection plans, routing etc) or FMEA scenario to defect analysis.

Hope this helps!

NJ