cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting 'Incorrect Syntax near USING' - error during SAP HANA Recovery

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Community,

I try to copy my SAP HANA System using a Storage Snapshot following this article Copy a Database Using File-Based Data Backup or Storage Snapshot Only - SAP HANA Administration Guid...

So basically I created a Storage Snapshot of the source system,

copied it to to target system,

removed all backups from the target system,

replaced the /data/ -folder with the one from the snapshot.

When trying to recover using the HANA Studio the Snapshot gets recognized and I can start the recovery. After a few seconds I get the Error:

RECOVERY command: RECOVER DATA  USING SNAPSHOT USING LOG PATH ('/usr/sap/SHA/HDB00/backup/log')  CLEAR LOG

ERROR   RECOVERY RECOVER DATA finished with error: [448] recovery could not be completed, [71000257] incorrect syntax near "USING"

Since I didn't want wo recover any logs, I assumed that the generated SQL-Command is wrong and according to  http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2157184

that is a known bug.

Next I tried to recover using the recoverSys.py as suggested in the note above. So I followed Parameters for Recovery with recoverSys.py - SAP HANA Administration Guide - SAP Library , used the command: ./HDBSettings.sh recoverSys.py --command="RECOVER DATABASE USING SNAPSHOT" and got the exact same Error:

ERROR   RECOVERY RECOVER DATA finished with error: [448] recovery could not be completed, [71000257] incorrect syntax near "USING"

by the way the source system is on SPS09 while the target system is on SPS10. But that shouldn't be of any relevance, right?

Any ideas on this ?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Moritz,

This seems to a known issue using a particular version of HANA Studio 2.01.5 and trying the recovery without using backup catalog, HANA studio appends the "USING LOG PATH" to the recovery statement causing the issue

Please refer the note below that has all the documentation

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2157184

Follow the note and use the 2 options of

1. Recover using the backup catalog

2. Use the command line recoverSys.py

Hope this helps

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply. As I stated above, I already realized, that it is a known bug in Studio and therefore tried using recoverSys.py, which resulted in another error.

What do you mean by "1. Recover using the backup catalog" ? Do I have to transfer the Backup Catalog from the source system to the target system for that ? I thought that option was only relevant for a local recovery ?

Answers (0)