Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S/4 HANA and SAP ECC + MDG

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Could anyone please try to answer my questions below.

1) I understand that business suite s/4 hana is a separate system which is built on different data model(replacing traditional Database design).

does this BOX does everything that an ECC system does at the movement?

2) We have SAP ECC and MDG(on top of it). Now if we buy S/4HANA should we need to migrate all the data and codes from ECC to S/4HANA??

If thats true then what shall we do with our existing ECC system post S/4HANA implementation?

3) As i said we are using SAP MDG, Does s/4hana support MDG? If so how?

I mean at the movement MDG is in the ECC box. Can we have MDG on s/4hana business suite??

Please help.

Kind Regards

Eva

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MarkusKuppe
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Eva,

let me add some thoughts on SAP Master Data Governance (MDG) and SAP S/4HANA.

SAP MDG's roadmap is fully integrated and aligned with SAP's S/4HANA roadmap.

The role of SAP MDG as an MDM hub remains independent of the fact whether there is an SAP S/4HANA system in the landscape. For example, we of course plan to support SAP S/4HANA as a target system for master data distribution in the landscape, i.e. we plan to replicate SAP MDG's master data to SAP S/4HANA (same scope / domains like offered today).

Most customers we interact with, want to run their Enterprise MDM system (i.e. SAP MDG) in a very controlled environment – basically, they are running quite company specific processes in their SAP MDG system and thus want to deploy it either on premise or in a private cloud. SAP MDG supports both deployment models (on premise or private cloud = HANA Enterprise Cloud).

The majority of customers run their SAP MDG instance as a hub - but we also support co-deployment of SAP MDG with an operative SAP ERP system. In the future, we plan to support co–deployment of SAP MDG with SAP S/4HANA on premise.

Please note that while SAP HANA is still optional for SAP MDG, we will continue to simplify and optimize MDG on HANA. We plan to provide these improvements with non-disruptive upgrades.

By the way, the upgrade or migration to SAP S/4HANA is a perfect opportunity to revisit the data quality situation of an enterprise and to strengthen the investments in this area, examples:

• Smooth business operations and accurate analytics depend heavily on the availability of high-quality (master) data.
  • You may want to use SAP MDG's new consolidation capabilities supporting the move to SAP S/4HANA – both initial deployment and repetitive on-boarding of additional legacy systems.
  • Thereafter, you may want to use SAP MDG's central governance to guarantee long-term quality of master data.

In this context, you may take SAP MDG's integration with SAP S/4HANA Finance as an existing proof point today:

• SAP S/4HANA Finance can be a distribution target for SAP MDG’s master data.
  • Central Finance leverages SAP MDG for centralized master data incl. re-use of SAP MDG's key mapping for aligned postings.
  • You can co-deploy SAP MDG with SAP S/4HANA Finance already today.
  • See also SAP Note 2103558 "SAP S/4HANA Finance, on premise edition 1503: Compatible add-ons".

Best regards,

Markus

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Mrinal & Markus.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member387380
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a question specific to how MDG co-deployed on S/4HANA or Central Finance will handle the new attribute "G/L Account Type"? Basically, how do we support the fact that cost elements have become part of G/L master data?

In our current system we have the field 0GACCTYP that has a value of either 1 or 2 (Balance Sheet a/c or P&L account). However, in the S/4HANA system we have 4 possible values for the field G/L Account Type - X, N, P and S. How do we handle master data creation and replication in this situation?

Thanks

BS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

By the introduction of the S/4 HANA Universal Journal the G/L Account object and the Cost Element object have been merged in S/4 HANA.

èThis doesn't have any direct effects on the general standard master data governance processes in MDG-F and the MDG-F data transfer, as the S/4 Inbound reacts and transforms the incoming data to the data constellation and persistence required for S/4 HANA. At that time of data maintenance it does not matter which systems are the target systems (SAP ERP, SAP S/4 HANA OP, etc.) for the MDG-F replication and all target systems are supported in the same way.

For example, a secondary cost element maintained in MDG-F will be enhanced by the S/4 HANA Inbound with the for the S/4 HANA as G/L Account required new G/L Account Type = "S" (Secondary Costs).

Kind regards,

Ilona

former_member191567
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Wondering if someone can throw light on the MDM here.

Based on the conversation, I noticed that MDG is going to be a part of S4HANA 1511 or 1610.

That being said, is it going to be using the same HDB?

And coming to the MDM, usually, most of the corporations use Oracle/SQL etc as the backend.

With 1511 and 1610, how can I picture this?

I mean does MDM use HDB? to make it sync with 1511/1610? or doesnt matter.

Appreciate your quick reply in advance, with some detailed explanation on this DB part.

Thanks,

Vic.

MarkusKuppe
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Vic,

when SAP MDG is running on SAP S/4HANA, both are using the same HANA database.

When you say "MDM", are you referring to SAP NetWeaver MDM?

I am not quite sure that I get your question, though. You cannot co-deploy SAP NW MDM and SAP S/4HANA on the same system or database, if that was the question. You can of course replicate data from SAP NW MDM to any system, including SAP S/4HANA.

Best regards,

Markus

former_member191567
Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Markus,

Thanks for the quick response.

Your clarification on the MDG part is quite helpful.

Now, coming to the MDM which is mainly used in Heterogeneous landscape, wanted to know if Oracle/SQL like DB's are being replaced by HDB or recommended to be replaced by HDB for enhanced performance.

Thanks,

Vic.

MarkusKuppe
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Vic,

Let me first try to clarify a potential misunderstanding: SAP MDG is not for "homogenous system landscapes" or for "SAP master data". SAP MDG is an application to manage all master data for a complete Enterprise and for a complete (heterogeneous) system landscape. You can use SAP MDG to centrally manager and distribute master data, and you can use SAP MDG to consolidate master data from de-central sources. There is companies managing master data for 200+ non-SAP systems using SAP MDG today.

I am hence not sure, I understand your comment regarding “MDM which is mainly used in Heterogeneous landscape”. This is not a differentiating thing between SAP MDG and SAP NW MDM.

For the supported databases for SAP NW MDM and SAP MDG deployments, please see http://support.sap.com/pam. As you will notice, SAP HANA is supported for SAP MDG, but not for SAP NW MDM. There is currently no plan to change this.

Best regards,

Markus

former_member191567
Participant
0 Kudos

Aahhh! that answers everything. thanks for the clarifications. Thanks much..

Valdecir
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Is there any update in regards of co-deployment of MDG on S/4HANA?

thanks!

Valdecir

MarkusKuppe
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Valdecir,

yes indeed there is. Everything I said above is still valid, but we added to the information. I did not update that in this particular discussion, though. The most up to date information should always be found in the SAP MDG Roadmap presentation that can be found at www.sap.com/roadmaps (Platform & Technology => Products).

In the current version of the roadmap slide 24 talks about this. As you will see, currently we for example support SAP MDG 8.0 on SAP S/4HANA Finance 1503 and on SAP S/4HANA 1511. The slide also lists the SAP Notes with further details.

Best regards,

Markus

wolfgang_ullwer
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

thanks a lot for your helpful insights. Can we assume that there will be an SAP MDG release (9.0?) that will support the upcoming SAP S/4 HANA 1610 release?

Kind regards,
Wolfgang

MarkusKuppe
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Wolfgang,

yes.

Same as we always included the newest version of SAP MDG in the next Enhancement Package for SAP ERP 6.0 (like SAP MDG 6.1 was included in EhP7 and SAP MDG 8.0 in EhP8), and same as we included SAP MDG 8.0 in the shipment of SAP S/4HANA 1511, we also intend to include the newest version of SAP MDG in the next release of SAP S/4HANA. We might even add some functionality in such an SAP S/4HANA shipment if development time alows us to do so.

Btw. you might have heard that SAP MDG 8.0 (if on SAP HANA) and the MDG scope in SAP S/4HANA 1511 are identical. Going forward (and as just indicated above), SAP MDG might be richer in functionality if on SAP S/4HANA compared to the SAP ERP-based version.

Best regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

i am new to the topic SAP MDG and have one further question in reference to upgrade

from SAP S4/HANA on premise 1511 to SAP S4/HANA on Premise 1610, we are implementing MDG 8.0 at the moment

as co deployment for MDG-C MDG-S and MDG-BP

and do have the question if it is mandatory to uprade with 1610 to MDG 9.0 or only new business functions will be available?

Many thanks in advance

Best regards

Hannes

MarkusKuppe
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Hannes,

short answer:

When you install the next on premise version of SAP S/4HANA (or do an upgrade from S/4HANA 1511 to that version) you shall automatically have all capabilities of SAP MDG 9.0 in that system. You might have to switch some of these on via business functions.

Long answer (expanding what I answered before):

SAP MDG can (technically) be deployed on SAP ERP 6.0 or on SAP S/4HANA. The strategic direction for SAP MDG is to recommend deploying it on SAP S/4HANA, while as of today there is no functional difference between SAP MDG 8.0 if deployed on SAP S/4HANA 1511 versus SAP MDG 8.0 deployed on SAP ERP 6.0 on SAP HANA. Going forward, in future releases of SAP MDG, we will see certain differences. (See more below.) Each SAP ERP 6.0 Enhancement Package as well as each SAP S/4HANA release always includes the latest version of SAP MDG in its shipment. For example, SAP MDG 8.0 is included in SAP ERP 6.0 EhP8 as well as included in SAP S/4HANA 1511.

There is only a certain amount of combinations that we will provide. That is, combinations of SAP MDG releases and SAP ERP 6.0 Enhancement Packages as well as combinations of SAP MDG releases and SAP S/4HANA releases. If we would support each and every combination, the combinatorics would hinder us from proper support and from future development. These below are the allowed combinations with regards to younger SAP MDG releases:

- SAP MDG 8.0 can be installed on SAP ERP 6.0 EhP7

- SAP MDG 8.0 is included in ERP 6.0 EhP8 as well as in S/4HANA 1511 shipment

- SAP MDG 9.0 can be installed on SAP ERP 6.0 EhP8

- SAP MDG 9.0 is planned to be included in the next SAP S/4HANA on premise shipment (actually even a bit more than the SAP MDG 9.0 scope, see below)

- SAP MDG 9.0 would be included in case there is a next SAP ERP 6.0 Enhancement Package

(Remark: We do not plan to provide SAP MDG 9.0 on SAP S/4HANA 1511. Customers will have use the next version of SAP S/4HANA on premise if they want the SAP MDG 9.0 scope on SAP S/4HANA.)

Also for the foreseeable future, we intend to continue to offer SAP MDG for deployment on either SAP S/4HANA or on SAP ERP. This includes SAP ERP on SAP HANA as well as SAP ERP on any DB.

As mentioned above, today there is no function difference between the version deployed on SAP S/4HANA versus on SAP ERP on SAP HANA. In the future, we will see functionality being available only in the version on SAP S/4HANA or being available earlier in the version on SAP S/4HANA versus on SAP ERP. The next SAP S/4HANA version shall be the first proof point of that, as we plan to include capabilities beyond SAP MDG 9.0. This additional functionality will for now not be available in any SAP MDG release on SAP ERP.

We intend to provide most of the new innovations always to the SAP S/4HANA versions as well as to the SAP ERP versions, as said maybe delayed. But over time we will see more and more difference between the SAP S/4HANA version and the respective SAP ERP version of SAP MDG.

Best regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

thank you very much for your fast response

Best regards,

Hannes

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

Could you please help me in answering my questions !

Regards

Eva

JoergWolf
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

Wrt 1)
First of all, SAP S/4HANA is a new product (i.e. next generation of business applications) and not the legal successor of the known business suite / ECC applications.

It does definitely support the typical ERP capabilities (in S/4HANA this feature set is called Enterprise Management or sometimes also SAP's digital core) but you will need to look into the details what this means for your business processes since they might have changed with S/4HANA.

Resources to do this are e.g. on http://help.sap.com/s4hana_op_1511/ (see.the 'Feature Scope Description' or the 'Simplification List' sections).

Wrt. 2)

There are basically two ways to deal with existing systems (in your case ECC):

a) Do a system conversion (i.e. take over your whole ECC system into a new S/4HANA system). Source system is decommissioned afterwards.

b) Do a landscape transformation (i.e. take over only selective parts of your ECC system plus potential other legacy data sources outside your ECC system into a new S/4HANA system). Source system then stays up for the scenarios/data that have not taken over into S/4HANA.

Transition options are explained here (blog / white paper).

Wrt. 3)

Sorry, not my area. I'll ping an MDG colleague for this.

Best,

Joerg

Mrinal_K_Roy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Eva,

Please refer

1. blog in URL for more details on S/4 HANA
  2. PDF attached to note 2214409 states that MDG 8.0 has been added on to core ECC (now called as digital core in S/4 HANA).

With regards,

Mrinal