Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ILM Sizing

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

ILM landed on my desk, the demand is to implement activation of ILM with a certified ILM Storage at the back for HCM data.

We plan only to use ILM Retention, so far Warehouse is not in scope.

One of the aspects is sizing, what kind of sizing ?

. When we start ILM running, what impact will triggering and executing archiving have on the HCM system, will the regular activity

put any load onto the system and how much ?

. The ILM Storage, how much data will we be storing and what kind of growth do we expect ?

. Based upon the answers to the two questions above we can decide if we need to add resources CPU/RAM/DISK to the respective

pieces of the puzzle.

I have hunted documentation, read everything on the https://service.sap.com/ilm and noticed how old the documentation is there, what is titled a Sizing guide is from 2011.

Question, does any such good guidance exist from SAP on resources/sizing which will be needed on the host system (where archiving will be executed) and on the ILM Storage ?

If not, I will answer this thread with everything useful that I find.

Best regards,

Andy.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Andy,

Your sizing questions really need to be answered by you as the answers will be based on the following aspects:

how big is your system?

how big are the tables you are planning on archiving?

how many years has the system been live?

how many years of data will be able to be archived based on residence time?

what is the annual growth of the tables that will be archived?

The answers to your questions about the execution of archiving have been told multiple times in this forum. 

As for the hardware requirements, those questions will be answered by the ILM certified storage provider.

Best Regards,

Karin Tillotson

petr_solberg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karin,

thank you for the feedback and also your contribution on this subject, blogs, TechEd sessions etc - I have been reading them all 🙂

I will gather the answers based upon your guidance and go from there - and update here what I find.

Best regards,

Andy.