Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personas Scripting - Update Data

Deon_van_Zyl
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am looking at different scenario's of using SAP Screen Personas within the HR environment.

Currently all the demonstration content and training material is focused a lot on the retrieval of data from multiple transaction screens and displaying it on for example a launchpad, but I have not seen anything on the update of data back to the database. Is this possible with scripting as well?

For instance, in HR we have PA40 that you can use with a transfer action. When you execute PA40 it populates multiple field on multiple infotypes.

Would it be possible to create a flavor for PA40 or PA30 where you add edit fields which will create new infotypes by using a scripting button?

Any suggestions/ideas are welcome

Kind Regards

Deon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, scripting can do updates also. Update scripts are typically more complex as they have to deal with the backend transactions failing in more ways than read-only scripts do, but fundamentally there's no technical barrier to writing update scripts.

I believe there are customers live with an HR scenario very similar to what you are wanting to do.

Steve.

Deon_van_Zyl
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply! I managed to get a transfer (PA40) working with a scripting button updating two infotypes in the background .

In terms of the error handling. Is there a way of retrieving the normal SAP Dynpro error message with a javascript method if one occurred?

Kind Regards

Deon

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should be able to copy the text from the status bar object, just as you copy from other screen objects.

If you are using Personas 3 then you can get other details too, such as message type (E, W, S, etc.) and number as well as the text. Just use the object inspector to see everything you have access to.

Steve.

Deon_van_Zyl
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Great, thanks! Will get it working!

Kind Regards

Deon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gideon,

Do you have sample scripting for this HR work?

Deon_van_Zyl
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Soumya,

Apologies for only responding now. I got a bit caught up in other development and had to put the Personas development on ice for a few months. Have you managed to get your solution working?

Kind Regards

Deon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gideon,

Found a better way of working on this as the personas is too limited atleast with HR

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Limited in what way?

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all this is useful for displaying multiple infotypes in a single screen. If we want to do update each infotype - each of them has a different time constraint so updating records in the future and past is not possible.Whatever needs to be achieved needs a lot of custom build.

HR Renewal has way better functionality to do this with minimal build.

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Well, HR Renewal (it being a package built for a specific purpose) can certainly provide functionality that is beyond what can be done with a UI tool such as Personas sitting atop of an ERP backend transaction - but this is not because Personas itself is "limited".

Apples to oranges...

In my opinion, a blanket statement like "Personas is too limited at least with HR" is just incorrect.

SUMANTH2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Deon,

Would it be possible to share the script for updating multiple Infotypes. I am working on similar scenario to update different infotypes mainly for Hiring actions.

Thanks

Sumanth

Deon_van_Zyl
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sumanth,

I am also still developing it and will share it as soon as I have completed it.

Kind Regards

Deon

Answers (0)