Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staging Vs Logging

itabhishek9
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi SDNites,

Can you please help me with the difference between Staging and Logging.

As staging is heavier compared to Logging since it contains more details i.e. if we add the log steps with MS, AM then in message monitoring I should be able to see meesage being sent to and retrieved from queue 2 times.

Please correct me if I am wrong. If not I am not able to view the the message being sent nd retrieved 2 times.

Note : I have tried the same using Synchronou scenario.

Regards,

Abhi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

Have you checked Klimov's blog ?. You can find a lot of information about this characteristic.

AFAIK and considering below blog you can see the on the staging the message two times and in the log one time, also you can change this option.

Regards.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

marksmyth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi

Also refer to SAP Note 1760915 FAQ: Staging and Logging in PI 7.3 and higher, which contains a lot of useful information on this topic.

Regards
Mark

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

Message staging shouldn't be used for synchronous scenarios - synchronous scenarios should use logging functionality instead. A major difference between staging and logging is that you can reprocess the staged version of the message and only display the logged version of the message. In case of a synchronous scenario, it isn't possible to reprocess the message anyway, so there would be no benefit from enabling staging for it.

In the described case with logging, when you enable logging for MS and AM steps, you shouldn't see multiple occurrences of message put/retrieve to/from a call queue, but only one such occurrence shall be observed in message audit log. This happens because logging doesn't put a message back to a queue, but only persists a message, while a message is still processed by the same consumer thread (in contrast to staging, where a message is put back to a queue at every staging step, and then retrieved from a queue and processed further by another consumer thread).

Regards,

Vadim