cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tomcat.exe and java.exe using too much memory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have been experiencing resource exhaustion issues for just over a month. It appears to have occured overnight, with no changes having been made to the system or the application. The memory now gets maxed out with tomcat using up 724MB and 8 java.exe processes using up nearly as much, one occasionally using up as much as 1.5GB. These are all java files found in the businessobjects folder, however, when I shut down Apache Tomcat, these java files still run.

With all 8GB of memory being used up, the system is no longer able to update the data or index the info spaces. This is becoming critical and I was hoping somebody can help me understand why the memory has been maxing out seemingly overnight, why the system does not appear to be able to let go of any java processes and how I can resolve this issue.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

Below are the steps and process that will help you to find out the issue :

Firstly, Tomcat.exe is used by the Tomcat and java.exe is mostly used by the server. To check which process i.e. java.exe is taking so much of memory you can note the PID in Task Manager of the JAVA.EXE and then Navigate to CMC>>Servers>>Servers List and You will find same PID in right section check which server is taking high memory.

Mostly the issue is due to the resources i.e. Core's available and RAM installed on the server.

• Ensure you are on Supported Platform and have minimum requirements according to the PAM of your product.  2183884 - Master KBA: Supported Platforms Guide / Product Availability Matrix (PAM) document links
  • If you have not cleared the Cache of the Tomcat from a very long time than it generated the cache and also reduce the performance.check : . You can also check the behaviour by performing the below steps:
    • Stop the Tomcat.
    • Navigate to BOinstalldir\Tomcat\work\catalina\ and rename localhost to localhost_old.
    • Start the Tomcat and check. Once the Tomcat is started then test the workflow and delete the localhost_old.
  • For best reference check KBA 2016105 - How to troubleshoot high CPU utilization issues with SAP JVM (Tomcat, Adaptive Processing Server, Adaptive Job Server, WACS

Hope this will help you !

Regards,

Mahak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahak,

I have cleared out the cache, going as far as removing the Catalina folder all together and allowing the system to rebuild it entirely. The PID of the Java.exe coincides with the ExplorerIndexingServer and, at this moment, is taking up half of the memory on its own.

Thanks,

Martin