cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK to have unrelated tables in same universe?

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We have a database that has a series of unrelated tables. Is it bad idea to have those unrelated tables in the same universe?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes,It's not a good practice or i can say bad design.If you are going to put the unrelated tables then users must know which objects they have to select creating objects and when they will get the  errors or wrong result.

This approach is more based on the limited users community and they should know how this will work.If users doesn't know i would suggest don't go for this approach.

In one of my project we went for this approach but in that case users were used to with this approach and they forced to go with this.

Amit

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can I use contexts to prevent the user from select items from tables that shouldn't (can't) go together?

Noel

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In context you can only include the joins between the tables.But how will you include the tables which are independent (without any join) in the context?

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rather than use contexts for this, use aggregate navigation. It's not what aggregate navigation was designed for but it's something that I've used it for in the past. Typically you'd use it in an OLTP schema. As Amit says, you wouldn't generally put disparate tables in the same universe but it can often be the case that the same target audience would need them both.

Answers (0)