cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL_SERVER environment Variable

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I am having a doubt on whats the use of the environment variable MSSQL_SERVER in the SAP Application Server.

During SAP installation process i ve pointed installation to a node of a cluster. After installation process i have changed in SAP default profile the database from node name to Cluster name.

Notice that all is working well, but i that MSSQL_Server environment variable in the SAP Application Server its still pointing to the node instance.

Can anyone please explain me whats the use of this variable in the SAP application Server? Should i change it?

If i wasn't clear enough please let me know.

Regards,

Arestas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arestas

You are not to change the environment variable settings in SAPSID & SAPServiceSID user ids, those setting are required to connect the SAP application (Main and application instance) to Database(Ms Sql DB).

Regards

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

S Sriram,

What if you change from a standalone instance to a Failover Cluster Instance? Shouldnt you change those variables?

former_member199290
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Carlos:

Please refer note 98678 - SQL Server Connection Issues that explains important parameters that are required by SAP to connect to the MS SQL server Database.

Below links provides information what is it used  for:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_srm40/helpdata/ru/2b/f8993af7700577e10000000a11402f/content.htm

SQL Server databases require the two environment variables MSSQL_SERVER and MSSQL_DBNAME.

· MSSQL_SERVER

Possible values: Text

This parameter specifies the TCP/IP name of the host where the database runs.

So you should change this parameter to accordingly as per the cluster name so that it always points to the correct DB notde of the cluster even in case of a failover.

Thanks

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Have you changed the value of the environment variable MSSQL_SERVER of user <sid>adm also?

Regards,
Eduardo Rezende
SAP Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Eduardo,

I haven't done it yet (but i plan to) because first i want to know whats the use of it.

From my understanding if its pointing to a specific server/instance instead of the Failover Cluster instance it should be changed so whatever uses it can always connect  to the database.

What i wanna know is what uses it and if there is any negative impact.