cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop automatic storage bin creation in MB1A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I have one challenging issue and I hope you guys will help me out.

We have a storage location PD01 which is actually a production area. This storage location is linked to warehouse PD1. Under this warehouse, we have a production storage type 100 which is an interim storage area.

Now while doing physical inventory with movement type 712 and in transaction MB1A, our users gave the interim storage type as 100 and storage bin as "P". Generally, under 100 interim storage type only the bin PROD is used. This was a mistake by the user but the system create a new storage bin "P" under storage type 100 and warehouse PD1.

Now, my doubt is, is there any way to stop the system from creating any storage bins while doing physical inventory in MB1A transaction using mvt type 712? However, the users should be able to create new storage bins under interim storage area 100 through the standard SAP transaction LS01N. But not through MB1A.

If you have SAP, you can replicate this issue by going to MB1A transaction, enter the movement type as 712, plant and any WM managed stor. loc.

Then enter the relevant material and quantities. Once you press enter, in the next screen you need to give the storage type as well as storage bin.

In the storage bin field you can just enter any values, say for example, TESTING and once you save the material document, the system will raise a new storage bin TESTING in background.

You can then check the stock details of that material in LX03 transaction and can see that the material is now available under the new storage bin TESTING. I want to stop this.

Please check and let me know if you have faced such issue in your SAP career and how you resolved it.

Thanks and Regards,

Umakanth

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no we did never face this issue since we are using the right transactions for WM inventory, see OSS note 1557004 - Movement type 712 usw. should not be used in MM-transactions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

I understand. Generally, we use WM transactions like LI01N for Physical inventory if any storage location is linked to warehouse.

However, in our case, the storage type 100 is an interim storage area and is linked for production. All our production relevant materials are stored in this area only. There is only one bin PROD available under this storage. Here a lot of materials are stored. Sometimes in 100s.

So, when our warehouse users wants to do Physical inventory for any single material and they use LI01N, the system considers all the materials/quants available in PROD under 100.

But with MB1A, they can do the Physical inventory only for a single material in PROD.

If you have WM setup, you can check this scenario. The system will permit to execute 712 Physical inventory for any WM linked storage locations but only interim storage areas.

The only problem is, while posting the PI document, you can give any non-existing storage bin and the system generates it in the background while saving the PI document in MB1A.

Hence, I wanted to know if there is any way to stop the system from creating storage bins in MB1A for interim storage areas while doing any PI activity.

Thanks and Regards,

Umakanth

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For this case SAP invented the LICC transaction a decade a ago. This allows to count only a certain material instead of the entire bin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for replying to my message Jurgen. Unfortunately, we do not use Cycle Counting in our system. We just do manual physical inventory. Anyways, I have told my user that it is not possible for SAP to stop the creation of new storage bins in MB1A.

Thanks for replying Jurgen.

Regards,

Umakanth

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

LICC has less to do with cycle counting, take it just as a transaction that allows you to count a single material out of many in one bin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Jurgen,

I will try that option. Thanks for looking into my issue.

Regards,
Umakanth

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus,

I forgot to add one point here. This phenomenon happens only for interim storage types, like in our case, it happened only for production storage type 100. For any standard storage types, this won't happen.

Regards,

Umakanth