cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promote to Production - Solution Manager Implementation of Features/Services

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

So far a single instance of SolMan 7.1 is used for maintenance, monitoring, alerting and reporting on our SAP landcsape. Business is taking an interest on using more features in SolMan to benefit in areas like BPM, Projects, Sofware Logistics, IT Services .... A roadmap is being defined and a 2-tier SolMan landscape has been put in place : DEV/TST + QAS/PRD. My question is about software logistics for deploying SolMan functionality in projects.

What is best-practice ?

• consultants work in DEV using an IMG Project to isolate customizing and configuration changes between different projects ?
  • changes need to be assigned to workbench/customizing requests, linked to a project, that can be released and transported  ?

Other than technical basic configuration on the SolMan instances (making sure the managed systems are properly defined and RFC connected), there should not be any 'functional' configuration that needs to be redone on each SolMan system in the landscape, or ? As an example we had consultancy to set up QGM and CSOL on our DEV/TST SolMan conected to a test landscape of managed systems. Now we are ready to deploy to QAS/PRD SolMan. Our consultants tell us that only 50% of the work can be transported and 50% remains as manual configuration to be done in PRD ???

How do other companies deal with this ? How to avoid manual configuration on PRD to deploy SolMan functionality ?

Thanks & BR,

Johan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Johan,

yes SAP recommends to have 2 or 3 tier for solution manager as well and its not anything new and varies from customer to customer.

SAP as a basic concept has few configuration which are transportable and many things which are not transportable.

You can't say 50% can be transported etc because this varies from case to case basis or typically based upon the scenario/functionalities and you can check below what can be transported with how to do details

https://support.sap.com/content/dam/library/SAP%20Support%20Portal/support-programs-services/solutio...

SAP Solution Manager WIKI - General Topics - Solution Manager - SCN Wiki

in terms of working, it always remains the all the configuration is done at solman dev and then transported to solman prod.....even i have worked/implemented with customer who do use charm for solman itself. In other words, a streamlined change process for entire landscape for SAP +non SAP including solman.

you can further check the master guide on solution manager topic 5(system landscape)

https://websmp101.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000288992011

i hope above helps

let me know if you need more inputs

thanks

Prakhar