cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to scan Serial Numbers from Bar code of type Interleaved 2 of 5 ( ITF)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Our client is Distributor and we need to scan the Serial Numbers maintained by Manufacturer. We have few products whose bar codes are of type Interleaved 2 of 5 ( ITF) wherein this bar code if scanned we get very big length number like 20 characters . Out of which, character 1 to 11 are actually Manufacturer Product Number and characters 12 to 20 are Serial Numbers.

e.g. If I am scanning Bar code and I get following in my PDA ( in notepad or excel as in SAP it don't display more than 18 characters in Serial number field)

Out of above , below number are for :-

Manf Prod No.               Serial Number

36856010100                 502123333

Since in SAP max. length of serial Number can be 18 characters hence I can not post this Serial Numbers as it is 20 characters. Kindly let me know following.

1. Is there any Standard way in PDA , that for ITF 2 of 5 Bar codes it can scan only required portion i.e. Serial Numbers.  Or

2. If above is not possible then what is to be done in SAP to capture only Serial Numbers portion from the scanned bar code ( like capturing and posting  only last 9 character from total 20 character)

3. Lastly if we can post more than 18 characters serial numbers in SAP by any enhancement in SAP.

Please note that we have other Products as well whose serial numbers are less than 18 characters , hence looking for the solution where both the scenarios will work.

Thanks,

JK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

balaji_ganesan2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi JK,

In standard SAP, data type length is only 18 digits and hence I feel it won't be possible to achieve above business requirement via standard customization. So, you need to modify the system and check for userexits in the serial number functionality which might be helpful here.

Thanks,
Balaji