cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clarification - DB restore - Database version

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a requirement for a system refresh from production to quality.

Quality system Oracle version : 11:2:0:3:0

Production system Oracle version : 11.2.0.4.0

SQL> SELECT * FROM v$version;

BANNER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.3.0 - Production
CORE    11.2.0.3.0      Production
TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production

SQL> SELECT * FROM v$version;

BANNER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production
PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.4.0 - Production
CORE    11.2.0.4.0      Production
TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.4.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.4.0 - Production

I believe we cannot do a DB restore with this version mismatch, Can anyone clarify this.

Remaining everything is fine, SAP, Kernel and DB client and everything is same except the oracle version.

If I have to go for Oracle version upgrade, I believe I have to download the below marked file. Can someone clarify this,

As a alternative and last option, I am planning for Homogeneous system copy using SWPM, If the DB restore would not work.

Please share your inputs

Thanks, Ganesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

To do a system copy (backup and restore) you need to have both the databases at the same patch level which is 11.2.0.4.0. To upgrade the database from 11.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.4 you need to follow the database upgrade procedure which is installing 11.2.0.4 on a new filesystem and upgrading the database to 11.2.0.4.0 using DBUA. Check the Oracle upgrade guide for more information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Reagan.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Mofizur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

Please go through below link..

Homogeneous System Copy with Oracle backup/rest... | SCN

Mark's answer in below thread is straight and simple..Hope that helps you..

http://scn.sap.com/thread/2116496

"However, there is a further distinction: for a homogeneous migration you can either use R3load or a "database-specific" method; the latter is typically backup/restore. Backup/restore is only possible if the database software is at the exact same release on source and target. To come back one more to your example: the migration is homogeneous but you would not be able to do a straight backup/restore because of the different Oracle versions. Your alternatives are therefore:

(a) use R3load method (which is the same as a heterogeneous migration, only you don't need to get a certified consultant involved nor do you have to use the SAP migration check service)

(b) upgrade the source to 10.2.0.5 and then use backup/restore"

Thanks,

Mofizur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rahman