cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying description and data in characteristic

0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I need to change the name of a characteristic and data in DP MPOS. How can I do this change without losing the data or reinitializing the planning area?

Plan is,

1) Use existing char A for storing another char B data. So we will change description of Char A to Char B .

Delete its data , attributes , compounding etc and reload it with new data relevant to char B.

2) Realignment of char A  to char B will be done. so new CVC will have char B in MPOS.

Please provide any step by step procedures required to be followed. Will this approach work ?

Any risks of losing data ?

Any need to initialize or reactivate MPOS, planning area ?

Do we need to change any infocube, MPOS , transfer rules etc where this characteristic is used ?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pratiksha

Do you require to change the only the description of characteristic or you want to completely remove this characteristic and replace it with new characteristic.? Based on this information, we could require to follow different approaches.

Thanks

Amol

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess, adding new characteristic will be more time consuming , as it will require re-activation of MPOS etc. Am i right ?

Thanks.

alok_jaiswal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pratiksha,

Yes adding new MPOS will not only be time consuming but will also require more steps -

1. Since you cannot add new characteristics to MPOS without deactivating it first - so that would mean loss of all existing data.

2. To avoid data loss- please take backup of your planning area data - Assuming you have some Infocube present where planning area data is saved.

3. Delete the existing CVC from your planning area - depending on data volume it could result in page allocation short dump - so need to delete in small batches

4. Deactivate your MPOS

5. Add the new characteristic to your MPOS (Assumption here is that you have created new characteristic in your Data warehouse workbench via RSA1)

6. Activate the MPOS

7. If you have planning books based on this planning area, then change the planning books by adding the characteristic to your planning book

8. Since MPOS now contains new charateristic, you need to add the new characteristic to your Infocube based on this planning area which is used for data backup so that new characteristic data is also saved in the cube going forward

9. You also need to generate and reactivate the data source based on this planning area to have new characteristic reflected here

Additional steps may be needed, depending on how planning area is used in your business process.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Alok

0 Kudos

Hello,

We are planning to use existing MPOS characteristic for different purpose.

So , we are changing char A ( with data xyz ) to Char B ( With new data mno ) .

Length of both char is same, so only "description" of char need to be changed.

How can I handle history data ? DO i need to delete complete history and load new one?

Thanks.

ruchi_das2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

The first thing I would do when making changes to Characteristics/Key Figures is take a backup/snapshot of transaction data. Since you are changing the description of the characteristic which is basically an InfoObject, you make the changes in RSA1 and re-activate it. The new description immediately reflects in MPOS and Planning Book / Data View. You don't need to touch MPOS / Planning Area in this process.

Regards

AK