cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop icons of PB 12.5.2 executables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a PB application with an icon (.ico file) having 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and 256x256 images inside. I have correctly set up in the application object and put it in my PBR file.

I build my application and obtain the exe file, say dummy.exe.

Now, if I put a link on my desktop to dummy.exe the icon I see is low quality, as if Windows upscales the 16x16 or the 32x32 ones.

The strange thing is that if I then change the link icon (by selecting Properties > Change Icon) to point to the original ICO file, I see it in high quality.

Is that a PB limit or a Windows one?

Does anybody know how to build the .ico file to obtain best quality when I put a link of my app on the desktop?

Thank you very much

Luca

Environment:

PB 12.5.2 Build 5789

Windows 8.1

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

tobias
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Luca,

according to "images for menus and toolsbars" from the helpfile, I would assume the same behaviour:

When an icon file includes several images

With the contemporary menu style and toolbar style, when an icon file includes several images, PowerBuilder uses the following image selection rules:

If the images . . .

PowerBuilder displays . . .

Are all the same size

8 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit, and 4 bit images in that order.

Include 16 bit*16 bit images and also other sized images

16 bit*16 bit images.

Do not include 16 bit*16 bit images

The image with the image size closest to 16 bit. For example, if one icon file contains 24*24 bit images and another icon file contains 32*32 bit images, then PowerBuilder selects the 24*24 bit images.

Are greater than 16 bit images

The image as 16*16 bit or 32*32 bit. If the icon image is 16*16, then it displays as 16*16. If the icon image is larger than 16*16, it will be displayed as 32*32.

regards,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your answer, Tobias.

I made some tests and realized that the issue is Windows-related and not PB-related: it's Windows that extracts the ICO file from the exe and chooses the best one to display on the desktop.

Anyway I restarted my PC... and now the icons are looking pretty

Windows mysteries...

I will reopen the post if I have some more problems.

Regards

Luca