Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

How to move transports between development systems

Scenario: Assume I am upgrading my ERP system to SPS21. I have two development systems DA1 & DA2. DA1 is in the production support path DA1->QA1-->PA1. DA2 is in the SAP upgrade path DA2-->QA2. To prepare for the upgrade I used system refresh techniques to copy DA1 to DA2 and QA1 to QA2. Then I applied SPS21 to both DA1 and DA2.

Once transports are applied to PA1 they need to be "replicated" in the upgraded systems so they can be tested again. What is the best method for getting the DA1 transports into DA2?

I was thinking of using the following technique

1) Use STMS to manually add the DA1 transport to DA2 - AFTER it is applied to the production system (PA2)

2) I will select the option to overwite originals when importing the DA1 transport to DA2

3) I will create a DA2 transport and merge the objects from the DA1 transport into this new transport

4) I will test the changes in DA2 and if it looks good I'll release the DA2 transport into QA2 for integration testing

Does this make sense? Is there a recommended way for performing this type of transport?

replied

Hi,

I use a mixture of:

1) SCWB (yes, one can get it to run without Solman, via setting up required RFC destinations in Client 000),

2) adding transports manually to import queue of DA2 and

3) manual download and upload

to keep dual track landscape synchronized.

The difficulties with SCWB are: it relies on version management, so it can't process things like Smartforms. It also doesn't support transfer of certain deletions (classes, interfaces)... so no code cleanups on maintenance track for me anymore. If you are using copy transports to deliver changes to QA1, every copy transport (every DA1 version in the right sequence) will need to be synchronized. Also, when I opened incident about the missing support for class/interface deletions, SAP told me to just stop using SCWB the way I'm using it . Other than that, it's an amazing tool (the underlying functionality is that of SNOTE, I believe), which saves me lots of time in dual track landscape.

The difficulties with adding/importing transports from maintenance track: you can easily overwrite changes already made in the DA2... You have to keep changing source system of the objects after import. You can forget to merge the objects into into new release on DA2...

Cheers

Jānis

1 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question