Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of EHP7 to Simple Finance on-premise 1503 SPS 1505

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Now two things we have to do:-

1. First One of our system is at ECC 6.0 EHP7 SP08 HANA SPS09 Rev. 97, and we are planning to upgrade/migrate to Simple Finance on-Premise      1503 SPS 1505 or 1508.

2. Migrating SAP application from Linux host to Windows hosts and HANA DB will remain on Linux host.

Now, a). Can I directly migrate above systems using system copy procedure onto Window system using backup of ECC 6.0 EHP7 systems.

b). Or first I upgrade/migrate EHP7 to S/4 HANA on Linux host and then migrate S/4 HANA using systems copy to Windows host.

Please advice.

Atul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member186845
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Atul,

In fact, such decision needs to be done according to your business needs. However, I believe you are searching for the faster and painless solution.

There will be no difference the order you are going to choose, because each step performs different procedures:

1, Simple Finance on-Premise is an ADD-ON that must be installed using SUM + MOPZ. It will not touch the application, but only the database;

2. As you want only to migrate the SAP applications, I believe you have two instances: ASCS and Primary Application server. Note that it is not that simple moving only the instances without touching the database. SWPM has only option to move the Primary Application Server instance. You are not able to move only the ASCS. Then, it will be necessary manual steps for that like:

1. Install a new ASCS in the new host on Windows via "new installation" option of SWPM;
  2. Manual changes to the profile in order to add the parameters pointing to database host;
  3. Install the Primary Application Server instance via "system copy" option.

Such procedure is not described in the Installation or System Copy Guide because it is not usual, but it works. The best would be run an entire system copy once again, in order to guarantee the consistency of your system.

The first step seems to be faster, but there are several steps that must be done to perform the installation of this add-on. I cannot calculate for you which step will take longer. As I mentioned before, the decision needs to be done according to your business needs. They are different procedures and none of them impact on each other. Of course that you cannot do both at the same time.

Regards,

Henrique Girardi

SAP Product Support

João_FI_FIN-CS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Atul,

I agree with Rishab. We aren't Basis and we can answer about the versions and not for the DB's questions.

So, it's better you research a Basis guy to do not run risks.

Thanks and please, don't forget to post here the answer.

JPA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Atul,

Quick question, why do you want to go for Windows upgrade,

From the details given above, you can go for Option B ( partly )

S/4 HANA is add on which you need to upgrade the stack and then perform the migration.

You can do this with or without going for Windows server.

Regards

Rishab

former_member278184
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks Rishab,

It is customer choice to have Application on Windows environment.

You are right, SFIN 2.0 is a Addon on top of ERP, but the process of upgrade/migration is tedious as per my understanding.

Now, will I get all the functionalities of S/4 HANA if I directly migrate EHP7 from Linux to WIndows using System copy or should I opt. for upgrade/migrate EHP7 to S/4 HANA on Linux host and then migrate S/4 HANA using systems copy to Windows host.

If anyone have done, this upgrade/migration, please share your experience and challenges.

Atul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Atul,

So based on your reply we have two aspects:-

1) Upgrade to S/4 HANA from EHP7 irrespective of system

2) Change system from Linux to Windows

On the point 1 I can speak with some details, having done an upgrade.

To enable features of S/4 HANA you need to work with Basis & FICO consultants to enable and perform migration.

This cookbook talks about this process.

On the point 2, on which I guess you are more interested in,

Check the implication and changes you need to do.

1) Change DB server to HANA

2) Change SAP server OS

3) perform data migration

Check this discussion which gives you a good number of pointers.

Migrate to HANA and to another o.s. type with DMO | SCN

Way I see this is:-

1) Upgrade to S/4 then move to Windows- you are having good check in the process and know what all went wrong and fix in each stage

2) Move to Windows and upgrade to S/4- All the changes and functional validation are pushed to last leg.

But again I am not a basis guy

Best of luck and let us know which route you went and how it came out,

Regards

Rishab