cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Parameters and Blank Report when opening Report via reportviewer Control

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're migrating a .NET app from a Server 2008 environment to Server 2012. Installed the latest SP15 SAP for VS on the Dev server which runs VS 2013, and the installed the accompanying SP15 runtime MSI on the web server. Authentication to the SQL server is working fine, but when I click the link to open the report it's just blank (picture attached)...I don't even get the expected parameter screen. Any ideas?

Notes:

1. If I save the data in the report while working in VS, the report opens correctly on the web site, with the saved data.
  2. The IIS AppPool is set to run in 64 bit mode (was 32 bit on the old server), and the OS is 64 bit, so I installed the 64 bit runtime.
  3. I've copied the CrystalReportViewer13 into my application folder, but I'm not sure this is a DLL issue.
  4. If I export the [seemingly blank] report to PDF that request doesn't succeed...it spins for a bit then stops. No file is exported.
  5. I've attached the code we use to process these reports, but I don't think this is code related

Any ideas on how to fix this or things to try?

I've got some Process Monitor output I'll add to this post soon.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Process Monitor entries created when trying to open a report via my .NET app that aren't marked as SUCCESS:

NO MORE ENTRIES:

RegEnumValue - HKLM\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Report Application Server\InprocServer

NAME NOT FOUND:

RegOpenKey - HKCU\Software\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Crystal Reports\Locale

RegOpenKey - HKCU\Software\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Crystal Reports\Database

RegOpenKey - HKCU\Software\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV

BUEFFER OVERFLOW:

RegQueryValue - HKLM\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Enterprise\InstallRoot\Path

QueryAllInformationFile - E:\MySite\aspnet_client\system_web\4_0_30319\crystalreportviewers13\promptengine-compressed.js

FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS:

CreateFileMapping - C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64\smagentapi.dll

There were more entries, but most were duplicates or similar to the ones above.

Edit: I added those missing keys above and after trying it again I got many more NAME NOT FOUNDS for keys that are supposed to be under the ones I added. Maybe the application didn't install correctly. I'll try a reinstall but that's already been done a few times. This is the MSI package I'm using - http://downloads.businessobjects.com/akdlm/cr4vs2010/CRforVS_redist_install_64bit_13_0_15.zip

0 Kudos

Hi Albert,

Try moving your code to the Page_Init section.

Do those keys actually exist? If they do it's likely a permission issue in IIS. Try running the app pool under a local PC Admin account or change the permissions for IIS or the App pool.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply Don!

I tried changing my Page_Load section to the Page_Init section and that didn't do it.

Those registry keys listed under "NAME NOT FOUND"  group (and many others that are supposed to be under that the listed keys) do not exist.

I neglected to mention that I'm currently running the IIS App Pool as my user account, which has admin permissions on the web server.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos

Hi Albert,

Those missing reg keys are a little misleading actually. Most have default values set in our dll's, they look to see if the default behavior has been changed through a reg key.

Most are access denied errors that you need to look for.

Try creating a new report, no database and just drop a text object with "Hello World" in it and see if that works. Try starting from the basics...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I created a blank report with with text objects and it displayed correctly in my ReportViewer control. I also added a selection criteria and data field to that blank report and that field displayed on the report correctly too.

Good news: I added a parameter field to this basic report and while working just fine in preview mode, when the report is deployed to the server in question, the parameter window does not appear like all the other more complicated reports.

Any ideas on a fix?

0 Kudos

Hit the F12 key when the report page comes up and look for errors loading resources.

Could be your pop-up blocker is enabled. Try adding your site to the trusted list.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I hit F12 and attempt to load a report I get a 'bobj' is undefined error. Attached to this post is the code directly above that error.

Reading through the code I discovered I was missing the aspnet_client folder (copied from the inetpub/wwwroot directory) at the root of my website, and after placing the folder there my reports work!

Thanks so much for your help Don!

Answers (0)