cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploying a kapsel offline app without HANA cloud

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have created a kapsel offline app which works perfectly when we run it through the WEB IDE as a web application. We do not have HANA Cloud and would like to deploy it using the ABAP repository. We donot have SMP either. Is it possible? We need the cordova plug ins bar code scanner to work

Thanks

Amina

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amina,

Virinchy is right, you could use offline only with SMP 3 or HCPMS

• There is a trial available for HCPms( ) and SMP SDK ()

Regards, Midhun

SAP Technology RIG

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Virinchy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amina Alavi,

Which scenario of your application needs offline capability? I see that you are running a web app (online) now successfully , and would like to add barcode scanning functionality and offline feature to the existing online application via kapsel plugin.

Please remember that Kapsel plugins are proprietary of SAP and are only a part of HCPMS (or) SMP 3,0 . You may add the cordova barcode scanner plugin without SMP or HCPMS but it still only works in online only. To achieve offline via kapsel plugin (comes with SDK installation) HCPMS or SMP is mandatory.

Also, i do not see any value to host Application in ABAP server as it is an offline application with barcode scanning functionality . Packaging the application with Ui5 libraries in it would increase the performance of the app.(Hosting the webapp in abap server is good for online scenarios)

Regards

Virinchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Virinchy,

Just a question on those lines of your answer, is it possible to have a Kapsel offline app(because it was created from that template) with the cordova barcode scanner plugin (without SMP or HCPMS or offline feature ) deployed onto the ABAP UI repository?  Eventually it needs to be  launched from SAP FIORI client?

Thanks,

SA P.

Virinchy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen Antony,

, is it possible to have a Kapsel offline app(because it was created from that template) with the cordova barcode scanner plugin (without SMP or HCPMS or offline feature ) deployed onto the ABAP UI repository?

Are you referring to the WebIde Kapsel Offline Template ? If so,once even if the initial offline project is created specifying the odata url and the entitysets to be cached for offline used and project is created, we are supposed to go to the project settings of the newly created project to add the plugins that are to be used in the project.

(Remember , we just got a template to start our offline project and no plugins are added till now)

Screenshot 1: Creating a Kapsel Offline Project from webide template

It is in the ' Project settings-->Device Configuration' of the project that we specify the plugins to be used by our application. 

Screenshot 2: Adding the plugins to be used in our application

Please look at screenshot 2, Cordova plugins are open source and does n't require HCPMS/ SMP 3 to be used. 

But if kapsel plugins like offline are to be used , Specifying the HCPMS/SMP 3 details are mandatory as kapsel plugins are part of SMP SDK.  

Screenshot 3: Adding kapsel Plugins and specifying HCPMS/ SMP 3 connection details

Please remember that we are creating a hybrid application which generates a package file to be installed by the user (Package file- Android : .apk , IOs: .ipa). which is n't to be hosted in ABAP UI repository.

Abap UI repository is only to host the webfiles of UI5 . Here in Hybrid application we are taking the webfiles of UI5 and creating a hybrid application to generate an application package (.apk / .ipa).

Eventually it needs to be  launched from SAP FIORI client?  

Fiori client is just another hybrid application developed using Fiori client plugin of Kapsel and available to download from respective device stores  To develop a new fiori client / customise the fiori client , SMP SDK is required as it is one of the kapsel plugins.

Midhun had a good blog to get started with offline plugin of SMP using WEBIDE. . Links to download trial SDK and HCPMS registration are added earlier.

Also there is an Open SAP course started last week that will help to gain good insights of developing mobile applications using HCPMS and offline plugin. Developing Mobile Apps with SAP HANA Cloud Platform - Jeff Gebo  and Dhimant Patel 

Regards

Virinchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Virinchy for your detailed reply. You answered most of my question.

I did go through Midhun's blog .A great blog indeed!

Just summarising my requirement.

We have a Kapsel app working as a web application that is deployed to ABAP UI5 repository.

We just need the bar code scanner to work and not any other plug ins ( from your answer i understand that HCM/SMP is not needed for this as it is a cordova plug in) . Now for the users to use this I'm planning to launch this app from the SAP Fiori client. Is this conceptually right?

Also we have a individual URL as below for this App which for some reason when run as a stand alone gives a toolbar error. Any idea why?

/sap/bc/ui5_ui5/ui2/ushell/shells/abap/FioriLaunchpad.html?sap-client=300#Shell-runStandaloneApp?sap-ushell-SAPUI5.Component=Ztest_appl&sap-ushell-url=/sap/bc/ui5_ui5/sap/ztest_app2&sap-ushell-config=headerless

Virinchy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
We have a Kapsel app working as a web application that is deployed to ABAP UI5 repository.

This is a web app as it is deployed on ABAP repository, not a hybrid app (Kapsel/cordova apps are hybrid apps)

Now for the users to use this I'm planning to launch this app from the SAP Fiori client. Is this conceptually right?

Yes , we can use barcode scanner plugin of cordova without HCPMS and SMP. Just add the plugin and call the barcode api when needed from ui5 app.

No, we need not use fiori client again , as we already have an independent cordova hybrid app.

Please raise a new thread with details of errors and screenshots as the other persons thread is being hijacked

Regards

Virinchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Virinchy. I will post the details of the error with screen shots in a new thread shortly. Thanks a lot!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Virinchi,

I have started the following thread for the above mentioned error.

Thanks.

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Could you elaborate the requirement.

Regards, Midhun

SAP Technology RIG