cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal reports only print in portrait from windows server 2012

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have an issue where from our application, all the reports only print in portrait no matter what orientation we specify, from a windows server 2012 machine. It works correctly on windows 7 and windows server 2008.

We have the latest crystal reports runtime on that machine...what are we missing? and has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Sharon

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did anyone ever find a resolution to this?  I have a number of reports that are marked as Landscape and have the No Printer option selected in VS.  When i run the report it previews fine in landscape mode but when I send it to the printer, it prints in portrait.  I am able to export the report to PDF and view and print in landscape mode without issue.  This only occurs in Windows 10 machines for me.

0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Download the printer test app I create in KBA 2163438, if it doesn't work using PrintToPrinter then try setting the viewer to PrintOutputController.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don

Thanks for your reply.  I actually just noticed a new Crystal SP was released.  My specific issue (WPF printing in landscape) was resolved in SP 17.  I've installed and confirmed all is well.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Ah, knowing you were using the WPF viewer would have been good to add to your post. Huge detail you missed...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don, our app is WPF but it didn't even dawn on my that the Crystal Viewer was WPF specific.  Sorry for wasting your time.  No need to be rude.

0 Kudos

Not being rude, just letting you know to include all info. I could say you were rude for not including it either...

There were updates to the WPF viewer in SP 17 which I could have suggested the first thing to try...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've similary problem - CR Runtime print on some computers landscape report in portrait.

On some computers print properly and others do not. Preview and export to pdf works always correctly. My customer has Windows 10 and installed Crystal Reports Runtime Service Pack 16.

0 Kudos

What does printing have to do with the box around the viewer?

Don't use the MS XPS print driver, it's not capable of printing landscape.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I use a HP driver specified for the printer.

0 Kudos

Can you attach the report use are using with dummy data so I can test?

And which HP Printer and driver? Is it the latest driver?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using C# - Visual Studio 2013 and we create the reports as part of visual studio. We have the latest development version for Visual Studio

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It will be much appreciated if you are more accurate than 'We have the latest development version for Visual Studio". No idea what that really means...

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am sorry - we are using

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good. (Many times we hear "I have the latest and then... )

Anyhow, I wonder if the printing works if you are right on the server it's self? If it does, see the this KBA.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184291/en-us

BTW.; how do exports to PDF and Word look?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

The printing works from a word document, excel document etc on that server. If we export the report to pdf and print, it prints landscape perfectly. It is when the preview shows up and then we click print, that is always prints portrait even when we have specified landscape. The preview window displaus the report correctly

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do want to provide a little bit of history first - if that helps you help me figure this out. We have a visual studio 2013 application that was running and printing reports perfectly on Windows Server 2012. We have users that use a remote session to log in from their machines onto this server to use our application. We were having an issue in our application whenever they remote sessioned from a windows 8.1 machine that we could only resolve by installing the .Net 4.6 framewor (our application was running 4.5.1 so we did not require a 4.6 install, I can only assume that it is a windows 8.1 bug as our application works fine in windows 7 and windows 10).

As soon as we did that, the reports stopped printing in landscape. Prior to that, everything was working correctly.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Very strange... Normally the following would apply:

1216861 - Report does not maintain landscape paper orientation on client computer

Or I'd recommend enabling the Option "No Printer". But it just does not make any sense that one OS would work and another would not (e.g.; the behavior is typically very consistent).

I'll ask Don to take a peek at this Monday and see if he has any ideas...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

We did all the recommended workarounds - on Page Setup in crystal reports, I selected landscape and checked the "No Printer" option. I also set that option in code to see if that would make a difference.

This worked fine before the 4.6 framework install and that is what has us stumped. Our clients also reported other issues of the report freezing up etc on even printing portrait after the install, but I can't validate those claims right now. Currently, the known issue that we can replicate each time is that crystal reports will not print landscape on windows server 2012.

Thanks - I appreciate any help you can give us!

Sharon

0 Kudos

Hi Sharon,

Is this a Windows Desk top or WEB application?

What printer are you using, it's possible the printer is not capable?

If it's the MS XPS print driver it's not capable of printing landscape using the WPF viewer. MS bug...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

This is a windows desktop application. It was working fine with any printer before our .Net framework 4.6 install. Now it doesn't work with any printer and we have tried several.

Sharon

0 Kudos

Wow, that is very scary....

I have 4.6 on my main test PC but it's Windows 7...

I'll get a Windows 2012 image running and test tomorrow...

Don

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sharon,

We have the same environment and are able to print.  The RemoteApps should have linked to the user's default printer and normally all is fine. 

What I have found in the last few years of using RemoteApps on Windows Server 2012 is I have had to delete the user's profile, it gets recreated the next time they log back in.  You'll have to reinstall their printer after they log back in. 

The profile tends to get corrupted and simply removing and reinstalling the printer doesn't always fix the issue. 

Try that with one user and see what happens. 

Good luck,

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are going to try deleting the user profile and recreating tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the tip!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I appreciate it! We've been stumped on this one, thought perhaps we were missing an optional update or something but so far we've got all the updates, made sure we have the latest of everythiing and we still have issues. And just a point of note - we have multiple Windows Server 2012 computers with this issue, we just set up a Windows server 2008 yesterday and it worked perfectly.

0 Kudos

Hi Sharon,

I sent this link to DEV and they tested it and it works fine on their images.

Must be environmental on your PC's. No idea what it could be though, if we can't replicate the problem we have no where to start....

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sharon.... I am having a problem with a "Shadow Box" around my form... I'm wondering if your print in portrait is the same as my "Shadow Box".... I have posted a discussion with examples if you wouldn't mind looking at it I would appreciate it....  My title is Shadow Box Around Crystal Report.. I talked to Ludek a year ago and was unable to resolve it.... It works OK in VS 2008  CR version 10.5 but shows up like the examples in VS 2013  CR Version 13....  Thanks for your time...

Robert Bassman

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What language was your application written in and what version of the Crystal SDK does it use?  Unless it was written recently using the latest version of the SDK, there's a good chance that it's not compatible with Windows Server 2012.

-Dell