Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Z-TABLE creation and migration from legacy, billions of records

LeeFung
Participant
0 Kudos

We are in a situation where we need to create some Z tables, and migrate a few billion rows into each table from a legacy Oracle db source. 

What are my options?   I know LSMW BDC with recording of table-maintenance transaction screens might work, but the volume is too high. 

Then we looked at BODS but it uses IDoc only, no direct-table maintenance (inserts, updates, deletes, reads).   

The third option I guess is direct db-level operations but I am not sure if the Basis guys will grant that kind of access, and I also do not want to discuss this with them until I have explored all the options.... 

There is a fourth option which is SAP SLO.... I worked with some SAP-AG guys before on SLO implementations and those guys could go into any table and directly update it....

I am all ears... thanks guys!!!

9 REPLIES 9

eduardo_hinojosa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

If you need to populate customer tables, then use command UPDATE and upload data from files with commands as OPEN DATASET. The main problem I can see is the size of logs. Check it with a basis consultant in TCODE DB02

I hope it helps  you

Regards

Eduardo

former_member182466
Contributor
0 Kudos

I would say cut out the middle man. Connect the legacy Oracle database directly to your SAP system and use EXEC SQL to read the data. With data volumes that large it's best to have a so direct path as possible. This will also make post load validation a breeze.Then after the conversion you can remove the connection.

A quick note on BODS, you can call BAPI's from it so you can also create your own RFC enable FM that does the table updates for you, no need for IDocs that way.

0 Kudos

Further to Gerrit's suggestion here is a very old blog that talks about

Cheers

Graham Robbo

p.s. ...but I have to say you must have a really compelling business case to bring billions of records from a legacy system into your SAP system. For example you could just leave them where they are and still access them directly from ABAP using this technique.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why do you need few billion rows in a Z table?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Create an RFC using tcode SE37 and write source code using insert or modify Z table.

give the RFC credentials to Oracle Developer and structure of each table also, he will map the fields.

remember in Z table 33 crores of records you can save, in you case records are more than that

create two tables with different name.

Regards,

Mahen.

0 Kudos

What on earth is "33 crores"?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1 crore = 10 million

0 Kudos

Read Indian numbering system for lakhs (100,000 or 1,00,000) and crores (10,000,000 or 1,00,00,000 in the Indian system)

Regards,

Raymond

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, thanks for clarification, Jurgen and Raymond. (Reminds me of an old anecdote when George W. Bush hears the news about "5 Brazilian soldiers" and asks: "How many is a brazillion?" ) It's probably beneficial to use decimal system on an international website to avoid any misunderstanding.

In this case I'm even more confused where did the information about '33 crores' (330,000,000 ?) limitation come from?