cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vb console app won't work on server

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have Crystal Reports 2013 Pro, VS 2013 Pro, on a Windows 7 machine.  I wrote a simple crystal report, and a simple console app to export the crystal as a PDF.  Just starting "simple". The process described below was done in both 32 and 64 bit.

It works fine on my dev computer.  Move the crystal and exe to a server, and it fails.  On the server I've installed both 32 and 64 bit runtime, also installed SAP CR for Visual Studio.  currently only 64 bit runtime and CRVS installed on server (ver 13.0.15.1840 both).

Server is Windows 2008 R2.

Error is "An error has occurred while attempting to load the Crystal Reports runtime.  Either the Crystal Reports registry key permissions are insufficient or not installed correctly".

vb code below.

Hopefully you can help with this.

Thanks,

Bill

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are a few ambiguities here...

1)  Move the crystal and exe to a server, and it fails.

Please provide more info re. "move". What did you actually move?

2)  On the server I've installed both 32 and 64 bit runtime, also installed SAP CR for Visual Studio.

This one has me scratching my head... what do you mean when you say 'also installed SAP CR for Visual Studio". Unnless you have VS on that server, this would not install...

3) Note that Crystal Reports 2013 (v. 14.1.x) has no .NET runtime. The CR runtime for .NET ("SAP CR for Visual Studio") is the runtime and is version 13.x.

A question; what CR files are you referencing in your app and what version are they?

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

0 Kudos

Thanks for replying so quickly.  Dell:  Yes - ran As Administrator (and was logged in as Administrator as well)

Ludek:  1:  did several different things and combinations trying to get it to work.  Each time was with a reboot (it's a test environment virtual server).  Created an installer package, copied to server and installed - same behavior.  Copied necessary dlls and exe - same behavior.  did both - same behavior.  Deinstalled the run-times, reboot, reinstalled 64, same behavior, reinstalled 32 (both existing on server at same time) - same behavior, set compile to target 32 bit only - same behavior, favor 32 bit - same behavior...

2:  I did install VS on that server, but then uninstalled it.  CR for VS continues to be able to install (that was also part of process for #1.

3:  c:\program files (x86)\Business Ojbects\Common\4.0\managed\dotnet2\CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll version 12.3.2000.1596

and

in same folder:  CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Shared.dll same version.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bill

This is your problem:

c:\program files (x86)\Business Ojbects\Common\4.0\managed\dotnet2\CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll version 12.3.2000.1596

As it is, the project is using version 12.x assemblies. You are deploying version 13.x assemblies. Thus you have two choices;

1) Deploy version 12 runtime.

2) Recompile the app with version 13 assemblies.

Version 12 runtime is available from here:

Downloads for SAP Crystal Reports and others

Note that v 12 was 32 bit only.

- Ludek

0 Kudos

Ludek - THANK YOU!  When I first started the project, I hadn't installed on my dev machine the CR for VS 2013.  But there was the old version 12 assemblies, so I manually referenced those.  Then went through all the steps above after that, never suspecting or checking versions.

Using the Version 13 assemblies.

Thanks again,

Bill

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Excellent. Just in time for the weekend

May it be a great one for you,

- Ludek

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you install the SDK runtime on the server, you need to install it using Administrator credentials in order for everything to get registered correctly.  This error is telling me that it was not installed that way.  As a first step, I would log in to the server as a user who has Administrator credentials and do a repair install of the SDK runtime to see if that will help the situation.

-Dell