cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select Paper Source Missing in Crystal Reports 2013

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have created a series of reports in Crystal Reports XI and we have been using them for years. Each report prints to a different tray on our 5 tray printer. In XI I chose the paper source in the Page Setup dialog. After upgrading to Win 7 this feature disapeared.  I am evaluating Crystal Reports 2013 for purchase, but when I try to set this property in Crystal Reports 2013 it does not exist There is no paper source option in the Page Setup Dialog or anywhere else that I can find in this version either.

I have 2 trays with 11 x 17 paper. One is labels and the other is plain paper. How can I specify which paper try to use for a specific document in Crystal Reports 2013. Currently I can only choose the size of the paper which will not work because they are the same size. I need to be able to specify the specific tray

Thank you in advance for your help...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Use Print Setup(?):

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

First of all, thank you for your prompt answer and for taking the time to try to help me...

Great suggestion! Unfortunately I had tried this solution in Version XI as well. I have tested your suggestion in Crystal Reports 2013 as well and it does not solve my problem. Setting the paper source in the print dialog only works with the local machine. The Print Setup is accessed via the driver on the local workstation. These reports are printed via our MIS system from multiple workstations.If I set this as you suggested then it works perfectly from my workstation, but from any other workstation it tries to pull from the wrong paper tray. Our users do not have access to this print dialog from our MIS system like I do within Crystal Reports. 5 different documents are printed with one click in the MIS. This is why I had targeted them to different trays so they can be printed on different colours and sizes and stocks as appropriate to our needs.

Kind regards,

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Tell me more about the MIS system.

Is this an app developed by you or your org? Or a 3rd party?

What CR SDK does it use?

What OS?

Web or win app?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

This is a 3rd party application. It is called Avanti and It is a .NET app that was developed using Visual Basic via Visual Studio if I had to guess. I am unsure what SDK was used, but it would definitely be out of date. The MIS is a Windows app and we originally had Win XP 32bit workstations but now we have Win 7 64bit workstations. The MIS provides an admin interface where I can specify what reports are to be run and the reports are created for it via Crystal Reports. In the interface I can define parameters to be passed to the report such as Job Number or Date ranges etc that can be used as parameters in the report, Its very basic and it does not provide much functionality other than parameters. There are no features to setup printer info within this interface.

~Steve

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Steve

Unfortunately, you will have to talk to Avanti as I have no idea how they implemented the CR runtime,

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Thank you for your continued help...

These reports are created via Crystal Reports. The MIS system only triggers the report and passes the parameters. The paper source selection is missing in the 'Page Setup" dialog of Crystal Reports. This report is and can be run independently and has the exact same issue. Having this feature is in no way dependent on the CR Runtime. And also not dependent on our MIS.

Is there anyone here who can expand on why choosing the paper source is not available in CR 2013. This is my question. This question is NOT related to Crystal reports XI. This is question is only regarding my evaluation of CR 2013. I am unable to run my report because I cannot choose the paper source anymore. This feature has dissapeared from CR XI and does not seem to be available in CR 2013. Why?

(Edit) This feature was available in CR XI until I upgraded to Win 7 Pro. Same version of Crystal from same install CD but the setting no longer exists with the new OS. CR 2013 Same issue. No setting for Paper Source. This is an integral and important setting that most drivers give access too so this is definitely a Crystal Reports issue.

Kind regards,

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK. Thanks for clarifying.

I am not sure what Service Pack for CR 2013 you are on,  but I'd like you to get to SP 6:

Downloads for SAP Crystal Reports and others

What is the printer and printer driver you are using (include version of the printer driver).

If you set a different printer driver are you able to set the paper source?

What changes do you see if you enable the "no Printer" option?

Can you attach the report - with saved data?

- Ludek