cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel recommendation to use SWPM SP09

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

When we go to https://service.sap.com/sltoolset -> Software Logistics Toolset 1.0 -> Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 SP09->download Kernel releases delivered for SLToolSet->Under Kernel for SWPM shows kernels of version 7.21 and higher.

Does this mean that to use SWPM SP09 we need to have Kernel 7.21 or higher installed on our system.

We have currently Kernel 7.00 patch 305 on our system and thinking if we need to first upgrade kernel to 7.21 or higher to use SWPM tool for Dual Stack Split.

I checked on PAM also and do not find specific SWPM there, It only shows SL tool set 1.0 which does not show any kernel dependency.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Shivam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam

On your current system Basis Support package level? based on your basis support package you can upgrade the kernel to either 721 or 722 ext.

Regards

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram/Dhanar,

Thanks for your reply but my concern is not if kernel upgrade can be done or not.

I want to know if there is any minimum kernel recommendation to use SWPM 1.0 SP09.

And if there is no minimum kernel recommendation then why we have Kernel for SWPM on marketplace.

After split we will perform System upgrade on our system which will provide us latest SAP and Kernel Patch.

Regards,

Shivam

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam

1. Kindly refer the SAP Note for SWPM 1.0 SP09 check the minimum requirement of Kernel.

1680045 - Release Note for Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 SP 09

2. You may require to upgrade the kernel 7.21 ext based on your SAP Basis component support package level. Could you share your SAP system basis component support package level?

Regards

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

We have netweaver 7.0 SP18 dual stack system.

Shivam

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam

1. Upgrade the kernel from current level to Kernel 7.21 ext latest release. refer the SAP Note

1713986 - Installation of kernel 721 (EXT)

2. Start SWPM split & then upgrade,

Regards

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

Did you find any OSS note which shows minimum SAP kernel level to use SWPM SP9.

As per my understanding this "kernel for SWPM" means that we have to provide this kernel path during SWPM execution and SWPM will use this kernel internally to complete its activity and will not upgrade our system to new kernel if we are using SWPM for split.

Regards,

Shivam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam,

SAP will always recommends customers to use the latest kernel version.

So, yes, it would be BETTER if you upgrade your kernel first before Dual Stack Split. But you can still use SWPM with your current kernel.

Hope this help you.

Regards,

Dhanar