cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Column Height for AutoSize Fields - Where is it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

One of our regular design issues when working with grid datawindows which have a background color different than the column color is that when you have a autosize height columns, that have no content, they minimize showing the background, also when they do have content they automatically adjust to what powerbuilder thinks they should be sized to, not a selected height.

I remember at conferences hearing repeated feature requests for a minimum column size for autosize fields, and thought that was going to be a feature of 12.5 or 12.6 - but cant find it anywhere.

Is there a way to do this?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Glenn;

AFAIK: This was never implemented by either Sybase or SAP.

FWIW: Along with the other 565 - 1 enhancement requests still in the PowerBuilder queue BTW ( http://my.isug.com/p/is/in ).  

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Chris

Wow - what a shame !  This little bugger is such an annoyance...The other bugaboo is the dropdown datawindow firing on focus rather the dropdown arrow being specifically clicked (which is a variation from standard window behavior) - but thats for another thread I guess.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a look at the HasMinHeight property:

SyBooks Online (Archive)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fred;

Interesting feature but ...

1) Why is this not a property accessible in the DW Painter?

2) Why does this not show up in the DW Syntax tool (even in v12.6)?

3) Why is there no property for a minimum value?

4) If the HasMinHeight flag = YES then is this the column or row minimum?

5) What effect does a slide up have on this?

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

We tried this out and it works!! Magically!! Thanks a million!

Wonder why no mention anywhere and not in the editor???

Former Member
0 Kudos

In case anybody searches SCN for this, here is some related information:

SyBooks Online (Archive)

The FontHeight DataWindow Expression function is meant to be used in the height property. This is useful if you want the minimum height to be a function of the font size rather than a fixed value.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks $1M Fred for exposing that option. Like myself, I think most people were not even aware of it - especially since the feature is not exposed very well to the PB developer.

tobias
Explorer
0 Kudos

As always: RTFM!

But, I didn't know it as well...

Answers (0)