Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALSM_EXCEL_TO_INTERNAL_TABLE confusion

ralf_wenzel_heuristika
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am uploading an excel file to application server by using ALSM_EXCEL_TO_INTERNAL_TABLE. I was surprised, that an input of more than 65.536 i_end_rows are causing a exception. Here are multiple threads, telling me, that 10.000 is the limit or 9999 is the limit - I tested and determined 65.526 rows as limit.

In the past, Excel had this limit of rows, but since years ago this problem is solved, I remember. And I do know exactly, that in my last migration project we had nearly 70.000 rows in the Excel file (uploaded with gui_upload, but now I want to change the upload format). Why this FM can not load more rows?

I determined another limit of 256 columns...?

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralf,

You are right. ALSM_EXCEL_TO_INTERNAL_TABLE has got this limitation(Row : 65.526 and Column a merely 256). Being an unreleased FM I would not put my two cents of assuming SAP will ever update it.

That is why I always use .csv or tab delimited file these days and those two has served me quite well has from excel to convert to .csv/tab delimited is quite easy and I use GUI_UPLOAD and if required FM TEXT_CONVERT_TEX_TO_SAP. And also I find it faster than ALSM_EXCEL_TO_INTERNAL_TABLE.

R

raymond_giuseppi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't be surprised, this is not a released FM, its purpose was defined for FI-AA (assets legacy import in transaction AS400, Read also OSS Note 933420 - ALSM_EXCEL_TO_INTERNAL_TABLE )

Hint: this program can nevertheless be considered an example of OLE method of execution in Abap, so you could build your own FM.

Regards,

Raymond