Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Default database for SAP BW

Hello experts,

I am new to SAP BW & HANA. This could be a very basic question.

In SAP BW, on its own, where does the data get stored when you do an ETL from other SAP/non SAP systems? Am not talking about the data targets like infocube, DSOs .. but instead where does these data targets get stored? Is it oracle? or is this database a customer choosen one during the client installation? or does SAP give a default database?

This question has come into my mind when am trying to understand the concept of migrating or building SAP BW on HANA.

HANA is an in memory database and the current BW systems (7.3 or above) can be put on the new HANA database... If this is the case, are we saying we are potentially changing the database of SAP BW from Oracle (if my above perception is true) to HANA?

Also while going through some material related to HANA, I understood that below are the options available to introduce HANA in an organisation

1. Option 1 - New BW Instance - Creating a totally new BW instance, and connect it to the SAP HANA database -> Does this mean take license of a BW system and choose the database as HANA/
  2. Option 2 - Change BW's DB -> Does this mean change the existing database of BW from ORacle (or whatever it is ) to HANA?
  3. Option 3 - Run in parallel -> Does this mean, we will have two BW systems - One exisiting BW insance which runs on the existing database and the other new BW instance which runs on the new HANA database. But this approach has redundancy in data?

Any little help is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Former Member

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question