cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware ESX 6 (SAP, SLES) unstable - how's your experience?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I'd like to get your opinion on recent VMware ESXi versions when running SAP applications.

We recently upgraded our ESXi version from 5.5 to 6 and run into serious troubles since then.

First of all (I hope you haven't experienced so) we ran into the problem escribed in  2229228 - VMware vSphere 6.0: possible data corruption which not only affected SAP Systems, but also ActiveDirectory, Exchange, Sharepoint and so on (that time was horrible, I can tell you!).

After an update to the latest ESXi Patch (which solved the problem mentioned above) we experience sudden crashes of our SAP Systems (around 25) running on SLES 11.3/MaxDB/Oracle (error has something to do with /bin/vmx). These crashes occur at random times (not only during backup).

VMware support told us the following:

This is a known issue for us that concerns SLES on ESXi 6.0 and ESXi 5.5 U3. Generally, issue may not be visible for this guest OS, but SAP is more vulnerable because of its specifics.

Issue is now resolved and bugfix will be included in further releases.

The only workaround is to use vmotion or restart this vm every week.

(If anyone from VMware reads this: VMware Support Request 15784794810)

However, the date this bugfix will be available will be "the first part of 2016"... which means up to 9 months of "workaround" and reboot of productive SAP systems.

I cannot imagine we're the only ones with these kind of massive problems.

How do you handle such situations?

What is your experience?

Do you have a solution for the latter problem?

Regards,

Michael

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

claudia_baur
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

In the meantime VMware provides a Hot Patch for this issue on vSphere 5.5 Update 3 and 6.0.

For details how to proceed, check VMware KB 2137310 (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2137310).

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hello,

official KB is online.

Best regards

Sebastian Lenz

VMware @ SAP LinuxLab

Consumption of VMware Extended Guest Statistics on ESXi 5.5 Update 3 or ESXi 6.0 may lead to virtual machine hanging issues (2137310)

stian_bryne
Discoverer
0 Kudos

We have had similar issues with one of our virtual hosts running SAP with Oracle on SLES 11 SP3.  after increasing memory the vm seems more stable.  Are we sure vmotion helps? 

BR

Stian

0 Kudos

Hello Stian,

I am working at the SAP LinuxLab in Walldorf for VMware and using the vMotion solution works.

We are also in the process to get the KB finished and published.

If you still feel unsure, please open a SR with us (VMware) my colleagues will help you.

Best regards

Sebastian

stian_bryne
Discoverer
0 Kudos

How do I open an SR with VMware here?

BR

Stian

0 Kudos

Hi Stian,

You can't open a SR with us here, you have to use one method explained in this KB

VMware KB: How to file a Support Request in My VMware

Best regards

Sebastian

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was contacted by SAP due to this post. VMware and SAP are working closely on a solution for these reboots (bin/vmx memory leak)

claudia_baur
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Dear Mr. Schüßler,

we are currently waiting for the delivery date of a patch for the VMware virtualization layer. As soon as a patch will become available, the information in SAP Note 2237937 will be updated.

As this problem currently can occur on VMware ESXi 5.5 U3 and 6.0, SAP recommends to use its software together with these versions only after a respective fix becomes available by VMware and has been applied by you.

Best regards,

Claudia Baur