cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need DSN for Excel at Server side?.

jyothirmayee_s
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have a client requirement to create multisource universe : one from DB2 and another from Excel source.

We were able to create local DSN for excel but couldn't able to publish .CNS file to repository?. and I don't see any ODBC drivers under Microsoft middleware drivers in IDT.

Is there any best practices to create a multisource Universes and also on Excel as source?.

Also, Do we need DSN configuration and file to set up at BO Server side?. Please advice.

We are on:

Windows 7 64 bit

SAP BO 4.1 SP3 Patch1

Thanks,

Jothi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mhmohammed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jyothi,

Yes, you'll have to setup DSN to the Excel file on the BO Server as well. It's just as you would work with a database, where you need to create DSN on all the the BO Servers and Developers' client machines.

After you create the DSN on your machine (ODBC 32bit), create a Relational Connection in IDT by pointing to the DSN you created earlier.

You should see the Microsoft Excel 2007 -> ODBC drivers as below.

About not being able to publish, did you create the connection in Repository directly? Because the name .CNS suggests that you clicked on the Repository Session in the Connections folder and created the connection there. If that's true, then the connection already exists in the repository, check the list of connections to verify.

Or else, when you create a connection locally, the extension will be .CNX, and you'll have to publish that to the repository and during that process it will create a shortcut (.CNS) in the local folder.

Thanks,

Mahboob Mohammed

jyothirmayee_s
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply,

I don't have access to create connections in repository.

Btw, can we create DSN on Linux/Unix or Windows servers?.

Thanks,

Jothi

mhmohammed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jyothi,

You'll either have to get access and create the connections or ask the BO Admin to do it. I don't know how it works with Linux/Unix servers, but on Windows, we can created DSN.

Thanks,

Mahboob Mohammed

Answers (0)