Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating universe entities based on java variables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How to create universe using based on referriing to java variables

We have semantic metadata extracted from Cognos in xml and we are capturing these xml information into java variables, now based on these java variables we need to push or create semantic or universe elements on BO server

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which version of BusinessObjects are you using?  Which type of universe - .unv or .unx?

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Business Objects version  - 4.1

Universe type  -  .unx

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok.  You'll have to use either the Semantic Layer SDK or the RESTful Web Services to work with .unx universes.  I'm not sure whether either has evolved at this point to include the ability to create objects in a universe - at one point you could only use them to get information on objects that were already in the universe.  I haven't worked in either of them very much.

You can get documentation on both of these SDKs here:  SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform 4.1 – SAP Help Portal Page.

You can also get more information about the RESTful Web Services SDK here:  http://scn.sap.com/community/restful-sdk.

NOTE:  SAP has stated that eventually ALL of the BI Platform SDKs will be replaced by RESTful Web Services, so I would recommend going that route if possible.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dell,

Thanks for your reply

We have created sample .unx and some universe objects using Semantic Java SDK sample jar

We are now looking on how we can create or push those entities on BO server by referring to java variables

for example let say I have "employee id" query item (similar to object in BO) in Cognos which I extracted in XML and I store this XML information into java variable using Cognos SDK, now I need to know how can I use this java variable to create or push "employeed id" object in universe on BO server

Basically we are in process of creating customises Java application for converting Cognos semantic and report metadata into BO universe and reports

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't have any sample code for you, but I've done this with the old Designer SDK for .unv universes.  First, you need to make sure that you have a connection available from the server that you can use in your universe.  Then you need to make sure that the tables and joins are created in the Data Foundation.  Lastly, you'll need to create the Business Layer based on the values of your variables.  I've never looked at anything from Cognos, but you'll need to be able to organized your universe elements into classes.  You would create the classes and then add the dimensions and measures to them.

At this point you'll have a .df and a .blx file on the local drive.  From there, you'll need to publish it to the server - basically automate that process instead of doing it in the IDT.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dell,

Thanks, so you mean using the properties of Java variable I can create connection,Data Foundation and Business Layer,correct ?

example Connection Name=Java Variable.connection name

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe so.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok...I will try to create and will post back here if I get some issues thanks, would you please advice also on what should be the format of these java variables?

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Whatever types you need to match up to what the Semantic Layer SDK requires.

-Dell