Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDG Upgrade Question

former_member196830
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are upgrading our ECC to EhP7. In our case we have a Co-Deployed MDG solution that resides in the same box (NOT a Hub deployment).

For all our Data Models we are using access classes and Reuse Active Area.

My question here is: Since our ECC is being upgraded to EhP7, and we're sitting on MDG 6.1, would I be forced to upgrade also MDG to a higher version?

I know that the recommendation for MDG 7.0 and MDG 8.0 is to reside on EhP7, but is the opposite valid?

Thanks in advance,

Boris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

no, you're not forced to upgrade your MDG version. MDG 6.1 runs on EhP7, too.

From a technical perspective, the upgrade to EhP7 will provide the new MDG 7.0 code, too. But MDG 7.0 contains a couple of business functions of its own that require activation (e.g. via SFW_BROWSER or SFW5). As long as you do NOT activate those, MDG will still act and behave in 6.1 mode. This means of course that you won't be able to use any of the new MDG 7.0 features.

Best regards

Michael

former_member196830
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Michael,

That's what I wanted to know. I assume the switch for MDG 7.0 would not automatically activate, therefore everything that is currently active for 6.1 would stay in tact and the current functionality would be fine.

Also if we're looking at upgrading, we should perhaps go for MDG 8.0 and not stay at 7.0

Thanks again,

Boris

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

yes, that's correct. Business Functions have to be switched on actively. This does not happen automatically. Still you should make sure that your basis teams does NOT activate those that shall remain inactive. Reason: you cannot de-activate the MDG related business functions. Once they are switched on, they remain switched on (which means that you would have to upgrade even if you don't want to).

Best regards

Michael

Answers (0)