cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Group Mandatory ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am creating a material ( Finished Product ) , after selecting the basic views , under Purchasing view , when I tried saving the material so created, it is giving me error as below. I am wondering that no further guidance is coming to this error. However , I have checked the FERT material type in OMS2 as well as FSG . How to proceed for this ?

Please guide.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

jagdeepsingh83
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This error may be due to some custom logic put in place .. or check the material group in sales view if you are creating one..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jagdeep,

Mate, when I checked the sales view, there  the Material group is 00102 that I want to maintain.

One more thing, when I am trying to create material of type ROH or even HALB, then also same error is coming, it is not accepting any other material Group except 00105.

as much as I know, while defining a new material Group , we can define them in OMSF (SPRO)

and assign Valuation class to them in case of Non stock material (OMQW)

What can be possible customization making this material group mandatoy for these Material Type?

jagdeepsingh83
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This seems like someone have implemented some user exit or BADI to force material group 00105 for all materials.. Standard SAP you can use any material group if you have them in your configuration..

May be the IDES you are playing with .. someone have already used to do his experiments..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, seems like same mate.

Thanks for your time.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

here is the guidance:

Looks like you have never seen that you can double click a message to get to the long text which should at least display the message number. and based on the message number you can know whether it is standard or homemade (Z and Y is homemade)

Further if you look at the message itself, would you really think that SAP could have a standard logic telling you what material group (which you define yourself in customizing) is to be used?

Is there are no colleague around which could be asked prior to post in SCN?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your encouraging words.

I know, clicking on the error so appeared ,will provide the what is wrong and how to proceed for that but I have mentioned in my issue above that "I am wondering that no further guidance is coming to this error". so that option is not there.

Since I am just practising in IDES , so not sure from where SAP is picking this Material Group mandatory for this particular Material type.

Please anyone has idea about this ?? what customizing has made this Material group mandatory for this Material type.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you alone on this IDES system? Or is any ABAPer doing his practice as well.

Even the fact that no further guidance is given when you click the error message explains for me that this must be homemade.

There is no customizing to assign material groups to material types.

Still you have various option to look for the root cause.

1) asking colleagues

2) using F4 in SE16 and searching for Z or Y tables, reading the descriptions to get a clue for what they could be.

3) going SE11 and checking in which Z or Y tables the material group field is used

4) transaction ANST to find user exits and modifications made on the standard program

5) debugging the transaction

6) using transaction SMOD to find the used exits for material master object MGA00001

7) call program SNIF in SE38 to find your enhancements

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay , Jurgen . I will check .

This IDES has access to many , so not sure who else is there. It must be homemade.

Thank you.