cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my role in SCN

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you think about what you represent or what you want to represent in SCN?

What does your image stand for? Taking a macro level stance, what points - traits, characteristics, symbol, do you want to surface from your participation?

Do you think about this (the "bigger" picture)? or are you more concerned about the day to day posts and let the bigger picture take care of itself?

For example, the identification of a role for a moderator is easy - to moderate. But what about the members?

TW

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What I could give/get from SCN:

Discussion threads:

I view my job as a game - so these questions are just brain-teasers/side quests. This has absolutely nothing to do with the forum points and reputation system - I simply challenging myself and others.

If a person is stuck with a problem and my post could help him see an alternative route to achieve his goal or help him improve his solution after I have taken the role to criticize it: then why not help out? If a thread could lead to an intellingent discussion and exchange of ideas - this would be a nice bonus.

Blog posts:

Option 1: business process not encountered before (highly appreciated) - the more you learn, the better could be your consulting service in the future. I cannot stress enough how important it is to understand the industry-specific challenges.

Option 2: a new technique to overcome a specific problem. OK... now how can I use/abuse that in a completely different scenario?

What I cannot give/do not expect to get from SCN:

Teach/learn how to become a (better) consultant.

Call it cynical or elitist if you wish - I believe that this is something you have to discover and experience by yourself. Neither internet forums, nor books, a mentor or any course can teach you that.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Veselina,

Consulting skill is a combination of many skills which do you think cannot be learned and need to be discovered by self? For example, SAP theory can be learnt from books etc. how to tackle an issue, business need can be learnt by guidance from a mentor. So would be interesting if you could elaborate on this.

TW

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Problem solving, creative thinking, communications for example, even leadership to some degree- this can be learnt only by doing.

Every person processes information in an unique way. A book, a course or a mentor can only show you how somebody else does that, but it cannot be automatically applied to a different person and scenario. The most a good mentor could do is to present you with challenges to help you discover what works for you.

It is true that you can learn from books or notes how to tackle a specific issue, but since there is an infinite number of possible issues and variables, you cannot memorize and apply mechanically what you have read in your daily job.

Consulting is like engineering - some people would never make the the step from configurator/technician to consultant/engineer, not because they did not learn the theoretical principles, but because you also need a certain mindset to become a true engineer.

This is why it saddens me a bit when I see posts bashing the official SAP education for not providing all the necessary knowledge to perform the job or when I see a person posting a question before making an effort to perform a simple research on his own - I cannot help such people even if I wished. I also do not believe in the magic power of inspirational/motivational posts- they would only work if the person is ready to make the next step for improvement.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Veselina,

thanks for your pov! these are clear and one might risk saying also opinionated.

TW

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Closing this thread.

It is far from answered yet I close this because I am going deeper into "my" (from my role in scn) and "what is me"...somehow this intense thinking sort of detaches me from wanting views on this topic.

Thanks!

TW

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

TW, your questions are always so philosophical.

I post under real name and am not trying to build any kind of special "image". There is no special "SCN persona" for me - it's WYSIWYG. Having said that, it is a good idea to be careful about what you post online. Not just on SCN but any other website.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well... probably you will live to the age of about 80, so a bit of thought now might make sense already. Moderators as well (possibly less than 80 on average). Repeat offenders as well (unless their user ID life-span is the unit of measurement).

So carpe diem in all aspects, also in doubts and the needful... but concentrate on the sensible.. 🙂

Cheers,

Julius

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Julius,

great advice! life is now!

TW