Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCo on SAP WAS only?

bjorn-henrik_zink
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

can I use JCo on SAP WAS only? ... or is it also possible to use JCo with Tomcat, WebSphere, WebLogic etc.?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Elvez

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

bjorn-henrik_zink
Active Participant
0 Kudos

JCo works on multiple servers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Elvez,

I'm not 100% sure what exactly you're trying to achieve but we run J2EE Server components which communicate with SAP 4.7 within JBOSS, WebLogic and WAS as well.

We do not use any Web functionality like iViews and so on but the J2EE components serve only as business logic provider. So I don't really know the limitations regarding Web.

Carsten

bjorn-henrik_zink
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Carsten,

I would like to run J2EE Server components thatt communicate with SAP via RFC. However, I would like to use JCo because it is very simple. How are you accessing your backend?

Thank you.

Elvez

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Elvez,

like I wrote we basically do what you are trying to do I guess.

We have an application which works with SAP data, the business logic is implemented in J2EE conformant server. The beans implementing the interface talk via JCO with RFC.

What do you mean with backend?

Carsten

bjorn-henrik_zink
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi again,

in other words, I was wondering whether the JCo is using some SAP J2EE Engine dependent libraries. That would imply that it NOT possible to use the JCo on other Java Web Servers.

If I understand your post correctly, then you have beans running on JBoss that communicate with the SAP system RFCs via JCo? In that case, it is possible to use the JCo on other Java Web Servers.

Best regards,

Elvez

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Elvez,

JCo can be used with any server. it's not specific to SAP j2ee environment. JCO consists of three files sapjco.jar , librfc32.dll & sapjcorf.dll . As long as you have installed these correctly , any java program can talk to SAP. SAPjco.jar essentially consists of wrapper classes around the dll specified above.

Prakash Singh.

Message was edited by: Prakash Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Prakash is right, that's what I wanted to say

If I read your answer corretly, you even won't need an Application Server? Given the libraries and setup the library and class path correctly, every Java instance can talk to RFC? Interesting approach, we didn't have use for that until now. If I think about it: yes, why not.

Elvez:

We have good experience with SAP WAS, JBOSS and WebLogic. They all run well. Especially JBOSS is very stable, compact and easy to deploy and maintain. We suggest JBOSS to some of our customers in production environment as well.

Carsten

Carsten

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use J2EE-compatible JCA adapter (if you can live with its limitations).

See this http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/6f/1bd5caa85b11d6b28500508b5d5211/frameset.htm

VS