Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Predictive Analytics for plant maintenance

former_member182537
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am new to PA.We need to show some POC to our client in PA based on plant miantenance so our case we need to know when breakdown happens in plant which equipments under go more failure frequently so we can plan for them based on analysis. Also we can get analysis of plant breakdown so we can avoid planned maintenance and do preditcive maintenance,

So we can download data from standard tables like QEML ,etc - please cna you advice via automated analytics which alog we can use to generate some sample kind of analytics and show.

Initialy we can load via flat file but later on we can automated it via connecting on som DB and then do analysis, Please let me know if you need any more information.

thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

PPaolo
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Nilesh,

I'd like to go back to your original question about predictive maintenance.

If I understand correctly you have data about machines, you know when they breakdown and hopefully you have measurements on the machine and its environment before and at breakdown time.

If this is the situation then there are multiple approaches which you can take depending on the exact question you want to answer and the input data you have.

Some examples (by the way I would suggest you try Automated Analytics first):

+ If you want to know IF a machine is likely to undergo a breakdown and WHY, you can run a classification model (supposing you have a column in your input dataset saying if yes or no a machine failed in the past). From that information you might be able to predict in advance that machines will fail based on the newer machine data and environment data. You might also be able to understand what you can change in your system to reduce breakdowns. Read this blog showing how results of a classification can be used to take strategic decisions: . The example here is about improving your business but you can adopt the same concepts to predictive maintenance.

+ If you want to know WHEN a machine is likely to break then you can try with a timeseries analysis where you add as much extra predictive  variables as possible even if I am not sure you might have a lot of environment data for the future. But keep in mind that even if you can do short term predictions, they might be good enough if you have the ability to react quickly to an alert.

+ If you want to group your machines to keep an eye on those who are more likely to break, you could do a supervised clustering using the breakdown (yes/no) variable as a target. This way you can understand the typical profile of machines at risk.

+ Finally be aware that in Automated Analytics you have tools to increase the data available for your model like the Event Log Analysis or the Sequence Analysis. Those tools help you automatically extract information 'hidden' in your dataset by calculating new aggregates or showing the sequences of events which brought to a failure (or not).

There are obviously other ways to run your predictive maintenance, these are just a few hints.

I haven't given you a solution (because there is no single answer to your question) but just a few tracks which you could explore. Maybe one of them suits your needs

Best regards

PPaolo

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In addition to Pierpaolo's insights, I would recommend you the reading of the white paper "Using Predictive Maintenance to Approach Zero Downtime" that is referencing from its blog here: http://blogs.sap.com/analytics/2015/08/12/internet-of-things-fuelled-predictive-scenarios/.

former_member182537
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot everyone. I will try and share outcome.

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Super - could you please kindly mark the question as "Answered"? Please create new entries if you have new questions arising.

Thanks, best regards

Antoine

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nilesh

I feel Regression algorithms should be good for your usecase.. But still it depends on the data you have on which analysis need to be done.

If you are using SA PA Automated mode, you only need to select the option which says Classification/Regression Prediction, load the data and run the model.

But if you are planning to use SAP PA Expert mode, you get many types of Regression based algorithms, from which you can try multiple linear regression or Logistic regression based models.

Regards

Ranajay

former_member182537
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thasks latest version should have thee feature launched and for initial pic can we just use excel as input or we need connect to hana.?

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes you can use excel files,csv files, .txt files and all for initial modelling. And later you can connect to any DB. The below snapshot shows the list of DATA sources which SAP PA Expert Mode provides. In automate mode too you can upload excel files and do the analysis, you can refer you tube videos and search SAP infinite insight there which will show how to upload and do analysis using SAP Automated Mode/ SAP infinite insight

former_member182537
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi I have generated model using classification/Regression and got o/p but how to analyze it .

To see what we are getting from model and how we can use it.

Any idea /document on it pls

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

give some snapshot of your analyses

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If you use Automated Analytics, please refer to the pages 38-39 of the user guide here: http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/pa23/en/pa23_class-clust_user_en.pdf

Thanks & regards

Antoine