Preparing for SAP Netweaver (EHP2 to EHP4) / ECC (EHP5 to EHP7) Upgrade
My client currently runs ECC 6.0 (605) on EHP2 of Netweaver on Windows 2008 R2 (OS) on MSSQL 2012 (DB). ABAP only. VmWare 5.5.
We are planning to upgrade to ECC (617) and EHP5 of Netweaver.
To test the upgrade, I created a sandbox copy with one dialog server. Because of resource limitations I want to run the Shadow instance on a remote host. So I decided to install a dialog instance first because 1) I wanted to be sure I could run a dialog instance before running SUM; 2) I am not the Windows administrator so I wanted to be sure any gotchas that SUM would encounter would be worked out beforehand; 3) I have to talk my clients administrator through the upgrade process while he drives because I have no administrative rights on any servers and 4) my clients admin does not have any prior basis experience but does have Windows and VmWare experience and 5) I also wanted to install a license beforehand.
I am glad I did. We encountered a couple minor issues:
1) There was no native client sofware installed on the new VM my clients' admin created.
2) The firewall was ON and prevented me from using the new dialog instance.
So here's my questions:
- I have installed the new license in advance but SLICENSE "Note on Validity" reports: Valid (inactive hardware key). Is this OK? Can I procees with SUM and point to the remote server for the shadow and will the shadow inherit this key?
- Do I need to shutdown this dialog (D81) instance before running SUM and will SUM re-use it as a shadow for the upgrade? In other words, can I re-use the same port (e.g. 81) for the shadow instance or will SUM want a completely separate port?
- Did I waste my time and my clients time installing a dialog server prior to running the upgrade? Considering the problems with the client software and the firewall, I am glad I got those issues worked out in advance.
Thank you in advance for your replies.