cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup database into manifest file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I try to use QUIESCE command to generate the manifest file from my old server where I wish to restore it into my new server by running the following command code:

QUIESCE database name_tag hold databasename for external

dump to 'D:\name.manifest'

After I execute the command, system throw me an error message as below:

QUIESCE/PREPARE DATABASE: Device 'master' is also used by database 'master', which is not specified in this command.

SQLCODE=14538

May I know any idea to resolve this error. Please kindly advise.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Are you trying to use the 'relocatable database' feature to unmount and move a database to another server? Or just needing to back it up to allow the backup to be reloaded on another server (and keep the database on the original server).

Backup dumps can be performed on any online database just by running 'dump database ...' without preparation.  The backup files consume space and can be moved/loaded into another server.

Using the 'relocatable database' feature actually unmounts the the database devices from the original server (writes the information into the manifest file - data remains on the original devices) and allows the devices to be physically moved to another ASE.  The database no longer exists on the original server.  The manifest file just contains information on how to remount the devices.  As such, the devices cannot contain any other database.  This is the error you are receiving - in this case the database also on the devices you are trying to unmount is 'master' (you are trying to unmount the master device) but could be any other database.

To unmount a database requires it to be the only database on those devices.

if you are just trying to perform a backup/restore, you should ensure the backup server is running and use 'dump database' on the source and 'load database' on the target..

Chris

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

To restore a database backup created using 'dump database' you need to have a database on the target server.

You can restore into a database (overwrite the existing contents) that is the same size or larger using 'restore database'.  To create an empty database to load into, you can use 'create database' or 'create database for load' on any device(s) with available space.  You do not have to use any specific device (e.g. the same way the database may have been allocated on the original server).  The database can be spread across 1 or more devices as long as the size is equal or larger than the original dumped database.

You restore a database dump using 'load database'.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. Eventually I did try to use dumb database but unfortunately I also have some problem with this where an error message prompted: Can't open a connection to site 'SYB_BACKUP' and I also tried to login to SCC and backup the database from there and it said that the default backup server is not running which I had already set it up.

Any idea?

Thank you.

former_member229302
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Choon Fatt,

The error "Can't open a connection to site 'SYB_BACKUP' Means that there is something missing in your setup.

Run the following:

1>select srvnetname from sysservers where srvname='SYB_BACKUP'

2>go

Check the Value for column "srvnetname". This should equal your backup server name. If not, then you need to update this column

1>sp_configure 'allow updates',1

2>go

1>update sysservers set srvnetname='backup_server_name' where srvname='SYB_BACKUP'

2>go

Check to see that you have connect to backup server

1>SYB_BACKUP...sp_who

2>go

If it returns values and not error then you have a valid connect and you should be able to dump the database.

If not then check your interfaces file to make sure there is an entry for the backup server

Turn off allow updates to system tables:

1>sp_configure 'allow updates',0

2>go

former_member229302
Participant
0 Kudos

Also make sure your Backup server is up and running

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jack,

I try to recreate the backup server and may I know what should I select and what kind of information I need to enter for the following:

Please kindly advise.

Thank you.

former_member229302
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Choon Fatt,

The highlighted protocol is the one you want.

Jack

former_member229302
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Choon Fatt,

The next window will ask for you hostname and port number

You will then supply your hostname followed by a comma followed by a port number as shown in the highlight above.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have resolved my issue by install another new environment as a checkpoint for my old environment and I found that the sql.ini in the old environment is messed up. Hence, I copy the sql.ini from new environment to old environment, the backup server is up and running. I manage to backup the database and restore to other server.

Thank you for providing the useful information.

0 Kudos

Dear Choon Fatt,

The issue is that the databasename you pass in your command shares the same device as the one which is used by master database. That is why it complains master database is not specified in the command.

You will need to move your databasename from the same device master to a different device not used by master database.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gek,

May I know how I actually can move my database from device master to another device that not used by master database because the remove button is dim out.

Please advise.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Dear Choon Fatt,

I have moved your question to this space as it is a standalone ASE issue.

Please post future questions to this space if they are involved on standalone ASE issue.

Best regards,

Gek