cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Expert Crashes when Pressing Links

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have Crystal 2013 installed and it crashes when I go to Database Expert and press links on any report that has multiple tables or commands.  I have searched the web and tried many of the suggestions that sound similar.  The only thing that comes to mind is the laptop I am using did have Crystal 2008 installed and it was then uninstalled and 2013 was installed on it.  Maybe the original 2008 is causing a conflict but I cannot confirm what the conflict might be.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Eric,

We recently identified the crash on Table Linking could be caused by unregistered .dll. I've created SAP KBA https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2221121

Here is the solution:

Cause

Visual Link Editor engine - vle.dll is not registered.

Resolution

Verify if the vle.dll binary exists in:

(for 32 bit platform)

C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86

(for 64 bit platform)

C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86

If the dll exists, try to register it. Here are the steps:

1. Start > Run
  2. Type the following command:

(for 32 bit platform)

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\vle.dll"

(for 64 bit platform)

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\vle.dll"

If you get a Success message then restart Crystal Reports again and test the table linking.

If the registration fails with an error then try to run the Command as Administrator:

1. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32
  2. Right click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator
  3. In the command line copy the

(for 32 bit platform)

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\vle.dll"

(for 64 bit platform)

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\vle.dll"

If the registration still fails try to register it using Dependency Walker http://www.dependencywalker.com/faq.html

"The best way to debug a module that fails to register is by opening REGSVR32.EXE in Dependency Walker rather than your DLL. Then choose to start profiling (F7). In the profiling dialog, enter the full path to your DLL in the "Program arguments" field. For "Starting directory", you may wish to enter the directory that the DLL resides in. Check the options you wish to use and press Ok. This will run REGSVR32.EXE and attempt to register your DLL. By actually running REGSVR32.EXE, you can see more types of runtime errors."

Hope it helps,

Vitaly

Former Member
0 Kudos

This file will not register and I have yet to get the Dependency Walker doesn't seem to want to run just this file and is loading all DLL.  I am at a loss as to how to get it to load.  For kicks I reinstalled 2008 and running them side by side it will open and work in 2008 but 2013 still fails.  The vle.dll file is in the folder.  When I try and register I get an "Invalid Access to Memory Location".

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Ok, if the .dll is not getting registered then we found the cause of your troubles.

Below are the detailed steps to register .dll with dependency walker:

For 64 bit machine:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/depends22_x64.zip

1. Run the depends.exe

2. Click File > Open > C:\Windows\System32\regsvr32.exe

3. Click Profile > Start profiling

4. Enter the following info and check the boxes as on the screen below:

Click ok

You should get :

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

One of our customers, who failed to register the vle.dll using all the steps I suggested above, actually succeeded to register it using powershell script. Unfortunately I do not have detailed steps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you!  This worked for me after a few tries and seeing your screen shots.

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Great!

Thanks for the feedback!

I've updated the KBA with the screenshots.

Vitaly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any way for me to download and save this KBA in a PDF format for future reference.  When I try and open the link it ask for authentication that I do not have. 

Message was edited by: Vitaly Izmaylov

CJH
Explorer
0 Kudos

Here is a public link that you can use to access KBA 2221121 - Crystal Reports is crashing on Table linking

http://search.sap.com/notes?id=0002221121&boj=/sap/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes.do?access=69765F6D6F64...

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

CR 2008 and CR 2013 are side-by-side compatible.

What version of CR 2013 have you installed (Help > About).

You should consider upgrading to a higher Service pack from here:

Downloads for SAP Crystal Reports and others

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am on SP6.