cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we still need SAP BW?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am doing a research on whether or not we need SAP BW if we are running S/4 / ECC on HANA!

• What is the future of SAP BW?

• Does one really need SAP BW even if they are running ECC on HANA?

• Can't HANA managed landscape cover everything?

My point of posting this question is to see the PROS and CONS of both SAP BW Managed Landscape vs SAP HANA Managed Landscape.

Thanking you in anticipation

- Dhruv Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi I would say YES. It will go on.

More over I feel that it will go into a composite way with both S4/Native/BW hana and user with self service reporting using lumira kind of stuff.

I have yet to see a customer having implemented only SAP BW and ECC ? and no other system ?

Thanks.

-J

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
former_member185132
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A very common question, and addressed to some extent here:

https://blogs.saphana.com/2015/07/06/sap-hana-replace-bw-hint-no/

In my view this kind of question doesn't have single "correct" answer, because it depends on several factors such as whether the customer already has a BW system in place, whether there are other source systems apart from S/4 HANA, what is the importance of slowly changing dimensions, what is the requirement for inventory data. All of those factors tilt the playing field towards BW. Do you need text analysis, do you need Hadoop integration, do you need real-time and do you need spatial/series data - those are pluses for native HANA.

Then there is a grey area given that BW and native HANA are getting closely integrated, and this will lead to hybrid solutions with some parts in BW and others in native.

Taking a step back, everything you can do in classic BW, you could also do in native Oracle/SQL Server. In fact the classical BW system itself was essentially an application built on traditional RDBMS. People could have done all their data warehousing in plain Oracle and cut out BW entirely. But many customers still went for BW because of the way it makes things like governance, SCDs and inventory easier to model and handle which are important from a data warehousing standpoint.

KodandaPani_KV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

What is the future of SAP BW?

A. never go SAP BW

Does one really need SAP BW even if they are running ECC on HANA?

A. its really need the SAP BW have analytical tool.

now it came to picture BW on HANA it is more  high performance.

as of now most of the clinets will implemented SAP BW  and ECC not HANA system.

Thanks,

Phani.