cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS MSS License for Users

0 Kudos

Hello Sap Guru's

I have some doubts & want to have clarrification regarding ESS MSS License and the ERP System.

We have a scenario for ESS/MSS where the end users will be using for applying leaves ,payslips etc.We have procured license for ESS 80 & MSS 40 and ECC 140 end users.

Now we have 2 issues as below

First Scenario : AD(LDAP) User ID's are different from ECC system .For example AD will have UserID as JohnT and Backend its created as JohnTom and in order to access from portal USERID should be same .Over all there is mismatch in ID's.Is there any way we can use it without changing in backend system or at AD level.

Second Scenario : Many End user doesn't exist in ECC system and we want to give access for ESS/MSS through portal but this obviously won't work until and unless you have user created in backend system through  ECC.

Will there be a license count if we create users in backend system for ESS MSS Employees.

Is there any document or link where we have clear picture on this part .

Expected to have your suggestions

Regards

Irfan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Irfan,

I see 2 questions in you discussion.

1- for LDAP-portal-ECC user mappings and config.

First Scenario : You can maintain one of the fields of LDAP to keep backend system user mapping field. And then change portal's UME source as LDAP. And maintain ume datasource xml as showing the related user mapping field name.

Second scenario: You must create a user in bacend system. No option without ABAP user.

You can check below link for LDAP.

Using an LDAP Directory Attribute as the ABAP User ID - Authentication on the Portal - SAP Library

2- ESS/MSS users count?

Yes, when you create a user in ABAP for ESS/MSS it counts.

According to the User Licence Aggrement document any user even it is created out of SAP system counts if she or he is using SAP System's data directly or indirectly.

But one user is counted only once. If counted as professional not counted for ESS any more.

You can check the link https://support.sap.com/keys-systems-installations/measurement.html

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

0 Kudos

Hello Yuksel,

Thanks for the quick response.

So for first scenario this is very much possible.

Second scenario - I agree it will count license for ESS and that's not issue because we have procured the license but our question as you said  we need to create in backend system that also I agree but again license will also be in countage for ERP side so what's the point having ESS license

Regards

Irfan

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Irfan,

If you are counting one user in ERP you donot need to count it as ESS user also.

As I said one user is counted once only. It does not matter in how many systems you defined that user.

You can download user classification list from;

https://support.sap.com/content/dam/library/SAP%20Support%20Portal/keys-systems-installations/system...

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

0 Kudos

Hello Yuksel,

Customer does want to use ERP license and want to use on ESS license only.Also one of the reason is we have exhausted license counts from ERP now .Not sure how should we tackle the situation.

Is this possible??

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Irfan,

If a user is running only ESS or MSS user activities (they are described in the excel list that I gave link in previous reply) in ERP system you can count them as ESS or MSS users.

You cannot rely on users' answers. Because they are not aware of activity types. They say that nothing is done except ESS but USMM does not think so. Measurement program is looking for some tables. If there is any records related to a user in those tables they cannot be counted as ESS or MSS. USMM warns you about those users.

You can perrform measurement like this.

1- Classify all users (except technical,developer users) as ESS users.

2- Run measurement

3- In logs you will see that some users cannot be classified as ESS. Take the list and classify them as employee. Rerun measurement and check logs again. You will see some of them still in wrong classification. Make thosse users limited professional. Rerun measurement.

Do this till classifying users as professional.

4- You will see users that cannot be measured as ess, mss or employee.

I am doing measurement with this approach.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

0 Kudos

Thanks Yuksel.

I will check & follow the same approach & parallely I have opened a message with License/Auditing department - Will connect to SAP Account Manger to be on safer side.

Regards

Irfan

Answers (0)